Any info on this apothecary weight? Thanks.

mspence

Aug 25, 2011
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1537038233.100783.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1537038248.201531.jpg

Are you sure it isn't a button?

I'm also in the believing it's not a button....On the side that wouldn't be seen is letters and numbers...My memory stinks bad...But the "VR" means something. I think it's a measurement, with the numbers split above. I have some weight's around somewhere and can't get to them at the moment, but believe they have the "VR" on a couple of them.

Added Edit........ I could have sworn .."VR",vr means something in weights or measuring and that I have seen this before.

I also think the little hole on the top was where a piece of brass(?)extended, to pick it up. Maybe even threaded in at one time.

Edited .again......I found it!!!!It was driving me insane I knew I've seen this before... "Victoria Regina" I think I spelled that right.... That's what I think the "VR" means. And believe that is a weight that you have. Not sure that it's Apothecary, but who knows.

http://home.clara.net/brianp/collectw.html

The LAST EDIT!!!!!!:laughing7: And here is what you have!!!!
https://nmscarcheologylab.wordpress.com/2011/10/21/ask-a-curator-victorian-brass-weight/

Very cool find!!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I love the edits man that’s great, and thanks so much for putting that much thought and energy into it and I really appreciate it. When I get a chance I’ll snap a photo of the other apothecaries I have found at this site.

Upvote 0
Nice find. Looking for other pics. Good luck.:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
I love the edits man that’s great, and thanks so much for putting that much thought and energy into it and I really appreciate it. When I get a chance I’ll snap a photo of the other apothecaries I have found at this site.

I wouldn't have been able to sleep until I found that! I knew I recognized it and it was up there somewhere rolling around, just couldn't remember. :laughing7:

I use to find stuff like this when going through coin collections. Some of it I just threw aside to figure out at a later date. My wife and I spent a weekend trying to figure out what these little token looking things and weights were. So, I knew I saw the "VR" before on one or more of them. It was driving me nuts because Google wasn't instant help.:laughing7:

A lot of the thinner or coin looking type, get thrown into coin collections because people think they are some type of coin. We spent hours going through a stack of world coin books that are about 3 to 4in thick each, page by page, then we stumbled onto one on the net and found out they weren't coins at all.

Anyhow, I think that's an awesome find! Very cool part of history!! I love stuff like this!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thats what it is I have one like that well done on I D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back