Any ideas?

copperpile

Aug 25, 2012
Northern Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found nears house foundations from mid 1800s.

image-1389358501.jpg

It has been said that the prostitutes back in the day, would wear these heart designed heel plates so the CW soldiers or any other paying customer would be able to recognize them walking down the street by their boot print in the dirt. I have dug several of these heel plates with various designs,while CW relic hunting.
I would think some of the plates would had been bought by the soldiers from the sutlers as these type heel plates are definitely not military issue. I also have found these in the mix of CW finds along with civilian finds and by some of the sites I was searching I would believe these type were used well after the Civil War.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
More specifically, it is a heel-plate from Women's "dress-up" tall shoes. The one in the photo was dug from an 1870s/80s town dump. It was posted at a now defunct civil war relics discussion forum website called American Relic Hunters, by the dump-digger who found it. I wish I'd saved the "sideview" photos of that Women's tall shoe. Unfortunately, some civil war relic diggers long ago dreamed up the idea that these small-size heelplates with various cutout emblems were worn by civil war soldiers. But in addition to the heel's small size, note its curved front edge, and (especially) the high and VERY-narrow arch of the shoe's sole. Does anybody here think that's a man's shoe? If you do, you'll change your mind when you compare it with shoes and boots documented to have been worn by civil war soldiers.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back