Any Ideas?

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first I thought this was part of a gas/oil lamp. Then I started cleaning it. The wider end is threaded and has what looks like bits of wood in it. It appears to be bent, at one time it was straight. Im thinking part of a fancy pipe? 919.JPG920.JPG921.JPG

I found it at a mid to late 1800's site I found a similar fancy turned brass pipe years ago. It just seems way to old for modern pot pipe.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help!! Seems way to small for a table leg, possible flag pole topper! With it being brass.. What made me think oil lamp, pipe or maybe even musical instrument part is the fact it has a hole all the way through it. Now Im not so sure its a oil or gas lamp part with seeing wood in the threaded end. I don't think the used wood in making gas lamps? Very well could be part of a pipe stem seeing as I'm finding clay pipe shards all over the ground at this site. If it is a pipe stem can anyone tell me if its older of just something modern.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I don't have it in front of me to double check but I am almost positive it was cracked at the bend. As if it was straight at one time then it was bent it cracked on the outer side of the curve. You can see it in the pic. I should of pointed that out.

Upvote 0
I don't have it in front of me to double check but I am almost positive it was cracked at the bend. As if it was straight at one time then it was bent it cracked on the outer side of the curve. You can see it in the pic. I should of pointed that out.

Thought it looked like a crack but wasnt sure...so if it was straight at one time could be tip for bellows...we do alot of cellar hole hunting in my area and we seem to find alot of the old homes had burnt down as we dig alot of ashes around some of them..imagine some poor guy bellowing up the fire and accidently blowing hot coals all over..sure its happened...course back then you were out of luck..no much in the way of fire departments.Neat find if it is for bellows.

Upvote 0
Fireplace bellows, and those were constructed with wood! Some how I missed your first comment. It does make more sense it was straight at one time. If I use a bellow on my fireplace this winter I going to be very carful, I don't want to end up like the guy in your story. Someone will be metal detecting around my house in 150 years wondering how it burnt down!! Not funny it happens........ Guess I was hoping it was part of a Native American peace pipe or something along those lines. Anyway still cool find thanks.
Thought it looked like a crack but wasnt sure...so if it was straight at one time could be tip for bellows...we do alot of cellar hole hunting in my area and we seem to find alot of the old homes had burnt down as we dig alot of ashes around some of them..imagine some poor guy bellowing up the fire and accidently blowing hot coals all over..sure its happened...course back then you were out of luck..no much in the way of fire departments.Neat find if it is for bellows.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back