✅ SOLVED Any ideas

stillrollin300

Jan 15, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ace 350, Garrett Infinium, AT Pro, ATX, GPX 4800, E-Trac, DMC 2B

Attachments

• image-1997492930.png
    image-1997492930.png
    454.3 KB · Views: 135
  • image-203374409.png
    image-203374409.png
    486 KB · Views: 143
  • image-3859656756.png
    image-3859656756.png
    442.4 KB · Views: 119
Hello..:hello2:

Your WR Tag looks like a Clog Clasp, the last item might be part of a Bridle piece.:thumbsup:

SS

Upvote 0
The flat edge on the tag looks like something broke off from it, so there would've been a narrow portion missing. I thought it was the top of a spoon handle.

Upvote 0
??? the WR piece is a key hole cover from a padlock?Pretty sure....

Upvote 0
Would they date civil war and earlier? Trying to locate this round house that is near this site.

Upvote 0
Here's something to ponder. The crown is British, and the crown and W R stand for William Rex, who was the king of England from 1830 until his death in 1837. I have a gun lock with that on it, and have researched it a bit. Just something that might cause some head scratching.

Upvote 0
Ya know...I thought I could run to my book and grab a photo of the lock I thought this came from, but I realized that the one I was thinking of said WT patent , and not WR, Patent. I included a photograph of the lock I was thinking of, although the detail in the book isn't that great, and I put your relic beside it.

Attachments

• lock.jpg
    lock.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 218
Upvote 0
The final photo shows a piece of a horse "gag swivel" bit harness. That particular version is post-civil-war, and is still being manufactured and sold today. See photo of a modern-made one and 1907-catalog scan below.

Attachments

• horsegear_gag-chain_and_martingale_Pierson&Hough-1907-catalog_2_TN_photobyCreskol.jpg
    horsegear_gag-chain_and_martingale_Pierson&Hough-1907-catalog_2_TN_photobyCreskol.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 113
  • horsegear_gag-swivel_bridle-part_photo-from-leatherworksdotcom_TN_photobyCreskol.jpg.jpg
    horsegear_gag-swivel_bridle-part_photo-from-leatherworksdotcom_TN_photobyCreskol.jpg.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ya know...I thought I could run to my book and grab a photo of the lock I thought this came from, but I realized that the one I was thinking of said WT patent , and not WR, Patent. I included a photograph of the lock I was thinking of, although the detail in the book isn't that great, and I put your relic beside it.

Here's a Post from 2011 with a similar padlock. Consensus then was the W.R. stood for William Rex.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/237181-what-date-padlock.html

Upvote 0
Here's a Post from 2011 with a similar padlock. Consensus then was the W.R. stood for William Rex.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/237181-what-date-padlock.html

Yes, and if you go to the 2011 post, there is a photo of another cover something like yours, that has the crown and GR stamped on it. GR is George Rex, the king during our revolution, before William. After reading that 2011 post I'd say your lock dates during the years 1830 to 1837. VR would be Queen Victoria, and she ruled for a long time, but a lock with that on it would have been manufactured during her reign.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back