Any ideas on this one?

holbrook419

Aug 21, 2013
This was given to me by my great grandfather. He claimed it to be a ceremonial artifact. I am having much trouble finding any info on the item. Any information is greatly appreciated! 3.jpg1.jpg2.jpg

What's it made of?
Can you give approximate dimensions?
Where was it found?
Is there any known history to where it was found?

Need some better info to go on other than "it [might be] a ceremonial artifact" inherited from a great-grandfather.

I'm not really into NA artifacts but i know those guys will want the same info. To me, it looks like a crudely-carved animal skull.

Upvote 0
I know nothing about these, but it looks like it could be a 'natural freak' piece. Ie. it looks dog head but more by luck than being mademade. I could be wrong. That doesn't mean it was used by ancient people because it looks familar, I have seen Celtic (2000 year old) stone 'heads' used in 'ritual' activity, purely based on its natural looks. Its just my first impression & I could be way off.

Upvote 0
could you post some higher resolution pictures and some different angles and with something for scale, and and provide the weight of this thing? I've seen alot of rocks but im more of a geologist by trade. the eye parts look really interesting, is there a little hole at the center of each? Its hard to tell what kind of rock it is, but it looks alot like iron concretions, or nodules, whatever you like, some people are more discriminating in terminology than others. I've seen some funny looking iron blobs weathering out of shale, and taking on funny shapes in creeks, and exfoliating at the surface in a similar way perhaps. the eye portions are too conspicuous though, to think it is one of those. I grew up in dover Ohio, and spent alot of time hunting arrowheads and have seen a good many artifacts, but nothing ceremonial, though those things must exist. there must be some ceremonial objects that have been found, though Ive never seen a picture of one, and it might also be that ceremonial objects were fashioned in greater proportion of less enduring materials. Anyway, I cannot tell from the pictures what this thing might be composed of. Also, if it was found in Ohio, it could have come from a long way off. You can find Clovis points in Ohio, dating some 12 to 13 thousand years ago. looks interesting even if it isnt an artifact. I'd keep it if i came across it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back