Any ideas on this one, Im thinking horse related

Chitlin

Dec 7, 2007
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any ideas on this one, I'm thinking horse related

...but really have no idea. Tip to tip measures 4 7/16" inside. Photo'd together as I found it but it looks to be made so you could adjust by removing screws and sliding. The flat piece can swing on the part with the screw holes.

Obviously "BB" on one side and the other it's either an "S" or a "5"...then a "G" or a "C"...... " E M"... not real sharp on my metals but this seems like it'll clean up nicer than copper. No real location specifics other than it was found in fill dirt with timelines dispersed....same spot as the inks and buttons from a few weeks ago...found an 1816 large cent and a scruffy looking 1990 dime in spittin distance from one another...

Thanks in advance....

Attachments

• whatsthis.JPG
    whatsthis.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 355
  • whatsthis1.JPG
    whatsthis1.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 354
  • whatsthis2.JPG
    whatsthis2.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 350
Re: Any ideas on this one, I'm thinking horse related

That looks very much like an old rain gutter bracket to me. 2dgs

Upvote 0

My first thought was it's part of a big strap or chain wrench. But I'm just guessing...

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Looks lumber related to me... The things they used to turn the logs with while in the water... not sure what they're called.

PLL

Upvote 0

pegleglooker said:
Looks lumber related to me... The things they used to turn the logs with while in the water... not sure what they're called.

PLL

I agree. It looks like some kind of log roller.

Upvote 0

pegleglooker said:

PLL
I don't think it is a peavey or a cant hook. Seems to small for that, but does resemble them.

Upvote 0

I agree with Two Dogs. It looks like a rain gutter bracket. And it is not a peavy or cant hook. Because in the matter of rolling logs.... One size fits all.

Upvote 0

Looks more Lumber related, possibly and old style pre-1920 logging skid tongs, or half of one... top would have had a chain that you could hook into each of the hooks on both sides. Vaguely remember seeing something like that growing up in Idaho's lumber industry

Upvote 0

I have to thank everyone for the giggles on the log rolling tool. But seriously this is an old hanger for the half round gutters that were on almost every house. I remember painting over them on my dads house every summer when I was still in school.

Still chuckling
Joe

Upvote 0

pegleglooker said:

PLL
PEAVEY
BUT TOO SMALL I HAVE A PEAVEY AND THE HOOK THAT GRABS THE WOOD IS ON THE OTHER END OF THE HOOK

Upvote 0

Looks like an old loose hay crane - used two at a time. Adjusted for amount of hay being picked up out of the field.

B

Upvote 0

Hey, maybe it could be a bamboo log rolling tool :P

As the dump dirt was way more "city" than "country", the rain gutter hanger seems appropriate. I think it would be mounted by the 4 screws and the (arm/hook) would stick straight out from the house... adjust for water flow.... I don't understand why it would (swing/swivel) on the mount..maybe to aid in the installation.

Thanks 2dogs (and everyone else)... 25 minutes to solve...I'll say it again, this site is awesome!

Chitlin

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back