Detector(s) used
whites spectra v3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
image-1407117164.jpg

image-2064037850.jpg

image-3028699673.jpg

image-1010045315.jpg

Duggap is correct it is a coat hook. The one I have looks to be shorter than yours. Keep at it your in the 1700's with that find. HH
BK

Attachments

• IMG_6032.JPG
    IMG_6032.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 0
Though I agree it resembles a coat hanger, the photo with a ruler next to the object shows the brass section is only 1.5-inches long. That seems much to short to serve as a coat hanger or even a hat hanger. Also, the curved end only sticks up 1/2" higher than the rest of it... not enough to "grip" a coat or even a hat. So, I think this short little hanger was intended for hanging something which had a thin wire handle, which would be retained by the crook of the object's narrow fish-hook shape. That shape makes me think it was mounted under a counter or shelf (or overhead), not wall-mounted.

Just as a sidenote, I think it's kinda cool that the knob on the end of the hook is made to look like a Garnet crystal.

Upvote 0
These are coat hooks and listed as such, many different ends some were cone shaped and others as well. If someone will find my original post for my item, it has the name of the book showing these and the approximate date produced. I think it's authored by Crouch? HH BK

Correction, I was able to date to 1745/1760. it is referenced in Ivor nole Hume's book Artfacts of colonial America in the furniture/hardware section
no attribution as to maker just shapes round, conical, and this one. --

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back