Any ideas, civil war era

Jparr0000

Greenie
Mar 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned my lesson recently when I almost threw out a clover heel plate...I found the ID on this site just in time. So, before I throw this iron away I wanted to make sure this isn’t something important. Found in a civil war camp area. Any help is appreciated. D94131B3-3082-443E-94E8-A55D5E4C1249.jpegF0D1F563-CD5B-4D07-9676-54FCD48F899A.jpeg

It looks suspiciously much like part of the frame to an old saw set vise, used to set the tooth angle on saw blades.

Upvote 0
Alwas good to ask before you toss anything Ill tell ya I couldnt recognize most war relics if I found em

Upvote 0
Welcome!!

It looks a little like the business end of a hands-free soldering tool. :icon_scratch:

Hands free soldering tool.jpg

Upvote 0
Jpaar0000 wrote:
> I learned my lesson recently when I almost threw out a clover heel plate...I found the ID on this site just in time.

What "ID on this site" did you find for your clover heelplate? I'm asking because those brass heelplates (and others with a different shape of "cut-out" emblem") were misidentified for many years here at TreasureNet as being a civil war era Military relic. But a few years ago, solid proof emerged that those heelplates are from the 1870s/1880s and they are not even a Military relic. They are from a Ladies' tall-heel hightop shoe. The photos below show one, which was found in an 1880s town dump.

I'm posting this message and photos for any TreasureNet newcomers who haven't seen the correct ID of that type of "cut-out emblem" heelplates.

Attachments

• heelplate_ladies-shoe-with-heart-cutout_ladies-buttonhook-shoe-boot_1880s_ARHphotobyMarty_shoe2.jpg
    heelplate_ladies-shoe-with-heart-cutout_ladies-buttonhook-shoe-boot_1880s_ARHphotobyMarty_shoe2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 58
  • heelplate_ladies-shoe-with-heart-cutout-heelplate_dug-in-1880s-dump_sideview_ARH_photobyMarty_sh.jpg
    heelplate_ladies-shoe-with-heart-cutout-heelplate_dug-in-1880s-dump_sideview_ARH_photobyMarty_sh.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 51
Upvote 0
Reference the clover heel plate, I found the discussion/debate of this site. I wouldnt even had realized what the item was not to mention it was very old. As far as civil war history, I understand it may not have civil war but still very collectible. Thanks for the info and guidance on this item.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back