✅ SOLVED Any ideas as to what this type of lock went to?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• lock.jpg
    lock.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 113
All of the trunks that I've ever seen had external locks.

I guess this could easily be a drawer front.

I agree that trunks had external locks, and I am in no way arguing that this isn't a trunk or chest lock. What puzzles me is that I have never seen one with a bracket on it before. What is the purpose of the bracket? The key would have had to pass through the keyhole in the bracket before it reached the keyhole in the lock itself.

Upvote 0
it could be a old cabinet lock , i have few in the house the are behind the wood surface and hidden , but if a chest lock might have been recessed in the wood ? the bracket may be a key guide for the lock assy

Upvote 0
or the bracket was a stop for the key so it did not pass through the lock assy so it would engage the mechanism

Upvote 0
Not to beat a dead horse, but here is one last view of the lock.

Attachments

• lock5.jpg
    lock5.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 89
Upvote 0
Thanks to all who replied for your thoughts on this lock. Given its size, I, too, will call it a trunk lock, although I haven't been able to find one like it yet, but my search continues.

Upvote 0
Im not convinced that is a lock, If you notice the slot that would be for the key is pointing at the 5 o'clock position not at 6 o'clock as a lock would be. I think maybe those were two round holes in those pieces and they have been broken out, making them look like a keyhole.

Upvote 0
Im not convinced that is a lock, If you notice the slot that would be for the key is pointing at the 5 o'clock position not at 6 o'clock as a lock would be. I think maybe those were two round holes in those pieces and they have been broken out, making them look like a keyhole.

It does appear that way, but the plates has a slight bend and twist to it. I think it would be positioned correctly otherwise.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back