Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 24-973vzkz+schets.jpg
    24-973vzkz+schets.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 519
Re: Any idea, anyone? Tin object...

WOODY50 said:
For one of my friends, who found this, and cannot get it id'ed.

The material is tin, more details I don't know at this time... Any help or guess is welcome!
Found in Holland.

Upvote 0

RELICDUDE07 said:
Thanks Relicdude.. but the book clasp is silver, which when used in such a way is mixed with other metals and is pretty tough and hard.
This object is pretty thin (I thought about 2mm) which would not hold a book together, don't forget it is Pewter, well really most of these items were tin/lead (Pewter). It is the sort of shape though I agree.

Upvote 0

:icon_thumleft:

I agree with Relicdudeo7,... book clasp, (part off) also it doesn't look like it's made from Tin, more like Pewter or Lead.

SS

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher said:

I agree with Relicdudeo7,... book clasp, (part off) also it doesn't look like it's made from Tin, more like Pewter or Lead.

SS
Sorry SS, yes that is what we here call tin, a mixture of tin and lead. Should have called it Pewter. Will change, thanks.
It is, by the way, not broken on any side or part.

Upvote 0

WOODY50 said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS
Sorry SS, yes that is what we here call tin, a mixture of tin and lead. Should have called it Pewter. Will change, thanks.
I still think that this is the top part of a Book clasp, the bottom part would have come through the opening, like a lock asp.

SS

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher said:
WOODY50 said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS
I still think that this is the top part of a Book clasp, the bottom part would have come through the opening, like a lock asp.

SS
OK, could be. I will look for book clasps (and the dutch word for that) on the net and see what I can find. Thanks SS

Upvote 0
SS

A question for RELICDUDE07 and SilverSearcher. Would a book clasp, which is made part of the book cover, have figures on both sides? Does not make sense really. Most pewter object as such has only figures on one side, the back side is plain. This one is not.

Upvote 0
I'm not so sure about the book clasp. However, I'm not sure on anything, never seen one. Looks 17th C in date at the latest.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back