annazar

Sep 26, 2013
image-1206263121.jpg

image-1736562066.jpg

image-1693744395.jpg

image-3485718787.jpg

image-2615549265.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a couple of things that might help. Cut class went through a period in the 1840's to the 1880's called the "brilliant" period. (seriously....) Many Glass Maker's were making objects like this in large numbers. Here's a way to tell if the glass has been cut or impressed. Lightly run you fingers over the edge of the cuts. If it feels like a sharp or crisp edge, chances are pretty good that it is cut glass, making it more valuable. If the edges feel dull or like they aren't crisp you may have a large piece of impressed glass. I would have it appraised just to make sure.....If it's from the brilliant period, it could be worth quite a bit of money.:hello2:

Last edited:
Looks like cut glass to me. Possibly Imperial Glass company, Pre-depression.

The patterns are traditional to Czech cut glass.

Glass like that is still made in Czechoslovakia. It's hand blown and then cut on wheels. If the edges are nearly sharp enough to cut you that is probably where it is from. The form appears more modern, the earlier Czech pieces usually have sharp dentils around the top like this ^^^^^^. If those dentils got chipped or broken over time (not uncommon) some owners would have the top ground down flat.

If the edges are slightly rounded it is probably from Germany or France and a bit later. If the edges are very smooth or there is a ridge line on the base it's a mould piece that was made to simulate cut glass.

I can't speak to the actual value. I know some of the older pre war Czech pieces can be a few thousand dollars if they are very large and in excellent shape. Your piece is smaller and may not be Czech? Feel with your fingertips for condition, eyes can fool you but touch will not, chips and cracks really drop value fast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back