Any guess to age of fish painting

Boy that is one stiff fish...
All of the item in the picture look to be 1800's or earlier.
Stoneware mineral water bottle, pewter plate, cast-iron bean pot and a very stiff fish leaning against the wall....
Cool Pic

Upvote 0
Can't really make out label I will try later a little more

Upvote 0
The label looks to be the seller of the board that it's painted on. Typically called Academy Board. If you search for 'Academy Board label' or 'Antique Academy Board label' you will see some examples. Unfortunately I couldn't find one that matched your label. Trying to piece together the other type I would guess the first tiny line says IMPORTERS AND DEALERS IN... then ARTISTS AND ARCHITECTS'. Under that may be MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS under that may be NOVELTIES. Some of these I'm guessing on as it seems to be a seller of goods for the creative types. I'm filling ARTISTS in in front of ARCHITECTS just because it makes sense, due to the ACADEMY BOARD. MUSICAL, could be MEDICAL... but again I'm going off art type vibe. Good luck!

adding photo of a label with some apparently similar wording...

M could be MATHEMATICAL as well... see the mention of NOVELTIES

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also from what I find with paintings on these boards, they are all typically described as paintings from the mid to late 1800's. So a date range on the painting would probably be in the 1860-1900 range.

Upvote 0
1860 is a little early for Academy Board but I would have to agree that it's from the late 1800's until about 1940. The frame is a bit later than that period but the frame wasn't necessarily made at the same time as the painting.

Academy Board is still being sold and used today. Academy Board is basically cardboard (paper) that's had a surface applied for painting. It's generally used for practice or if the artist can't afford anything more permanent.

The painting you have appears as if it may have been cut down? That's not unusual with Academy Board. If the edges get wet or scuffed it's typical that the painting is cut down to preserve the good paper that's left.

Upvote 0
Been Franklin said you could just smell it! But I'd guess more than three days!

Sorry JTW, no disrespect!

Upvote 0
You've already received some great dating information from Clay and WoodnHead. :thumbsup:

Date wise... based on the wooden backing board, the look of the frame and the painting itself, I'm thinking c1900 - 1930.

Dave

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back