Any experience with this???

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Rock Nose and sniffer belly
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am building my own suction nozzle. I have all of the parts cut and ready to weld and I will be doing that immediately after work today. The thing I don't exactly know is how to run the thing. Any tips would be appreciated. One thing I do know is SAFETY GLASSES for blowback.

20130404_222023.jpg

Dredge nozzle plans - size?

I am building my own suction nozzle. I have all of the parts cut and ready to weld and I will be doing that immediately after work today. The thing I don't exactly know is how to run the thing. Any tips would be appreciated. One thing I do know is SAFETY GLASSES for blowback.

Hello, Doitlaynstyle. Things look like they're moving along, nicely. :hello2:
Found these plans. Hope it will help, or at least get you going in the right direction. See the attached file.
Prosper in 2013 - JSpinner

+
View attachment dredgenozz.pdfView attachment NozzleOps.pdf

Last edited:
Looks like Ive got it right as far as My plans go. I am able to go 1/4 larger on my jet size because of the sweeping 2" pressure tube and my pump is bigger both of which increase my pressure and flow at the jet. I didn't want to go any bigger than a 3" pickup tube because of the weight when handling and HOLY CRAP the cost of suction hose over 2" dramatically increases as it gets bigger. I'm looking forward to not having to shovel lol.

Compare

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130405_202419.png
    ForumRunner_20130405_202419.png
    212.4 KB · Views: 221
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 248
Looking good, got some tips for you, don't use lay flat hose for your pressure line, don't buy your hose online instead buy at Andy's in Boise. Keep your hose length to 15'. With the sharp bend you have, weld on a restrictor as rocks will get stuck in that bend. 1/2" is standard but you may want to consider more due to tight bend. I get a discount at Andy's so I could help you out to save some money. The pump you have can only supply 46psi if I remember right, that's why I recommend 15'

Good evening Doitlaynstyle,

Everything looks good except for that bend as omnicron stated. The nozzle really prefers more of a sweeping elbow or 90 degree fitting. It will probably be fine but you definitely have a chance for a rock to get all cockeyed in there and jam. Your best bet may be a tip like Proline makes that will make the suction opening a little smaller than the tube ID. The rolled edge on the tip keeps "full size" rocks out and will help prevent jams in that 90 degree bend. I'll attach a pic below for you,

straight_tips_med.png

Otherwise it looks really good, it's just if it jams, you're going to have to pull off the nozzle to clean out the rock or rocks.

Have a great weekend, Chris

Last edited:
Lookn' at your pic you seem to have welded on a flared OPEN bigger piece than pipe intake??? or just camera view. Instant disaster on plugups as you need the quite smaller KNURLED edge (as shown above) or welded on ring to restrict your intake a mite to hepl prevent plugups. John :thumbsup: PS Your back will love ya for this,albeit your wallet won't. Get your KANAFLEX hose from hose supply houses,farm ,septic pumpers as all use it for UV protection and use rigid everywhere as flat is nuttn' but a psi/gpm robbing,kinking pain in the arse-PLEASE READ THE NEW IDAHO RULES/REGS FOR DREDGING IN IDAHO ,as hate to see ya go through all this and get busted right off the bat....John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back