Any Doll Experts? Help ID old doll

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
I got this in a storage auction the other day. It is a small, 7-1/2" porcelain and cloth doll. The main body is cloth and the head, arms and legs are porcelain. I could not find any markings or stamps on the doll so I'm hoping someone out there knows something about her, like the age and potential value. Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC06639.JPG
    DSC06639.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 449
  • DSC06641.JPG
    DSC06641.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 429
  • DSC06640.JPG
    DSC06640.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 440
  • DSC06642.JPG
    DSC06642.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 534
  • DSC06643.JPG
    DSC06643.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 790
I'm no doll expert but based on the shoe style and hair style, this one could be late 19th century.

Search "German Bisque doll" on the internet and you'll see a bazillion of them, although I didn't see many with brown/red hair like yours.

DCMatt

P.S. Looking at pics of doll parts creeps me out...

Upvote 0
Yes, you have an antique glazed porcelain doll with a cloth body, although the arms appear to be unglazed. The era is the late 1880s to turn of the century. The hair style and facial features are typical of those of the 'Gibson Girls' created by Charles Gibson. The Gibson Girls, although fictitious, were the national standard for 'beauty' during that era, thus every little girl wanted a dollie that looked like a Gibson Girl. As far as the body is concerned, the earlier cloth bodies were stuffed with sawdust, and then later stuffed with cotton batten. The manufacturer's name was generally embossed on the back of the neck. Many of the more common porcelain dolls were factory produced, with hand painted features, but were not marked. Nice find, Breezie

Upvote 0
My mother is a doll collector and "Breezie" is on the money. Some have the makers mark inside the neck but the doll would have to be disassembled. Did the doll come with any original clothes? Some of the original clothes are worth more than the doll. My mother has purchased several dolls from auctions for almost next to nothing and made a huge profit re-selling them. Nice find.....

Upvote 0
Thanks for all of the great information and solving the mystery of this doll for me! Unfortunately there were no clothes that I found with this doll but I will keep an eye out for those in the future.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back