✅ SOLVED Any clues to what this token is???

nat&maine

Oct 16, 2013
image-989833561.jpg

image-332236856.jpg

Any help??? It's from hertforshire England?

I hope you don't mind but I edited your pics so they will show up a little better. Maybe someone can help you with it.

Attachments

• image-332236856.jpg
    image-332236856.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 77
  • image-989833561.jpg
    image-989833561.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 0
Its a 17th C token. Farthing size. It's where the expression 'its not worth a brass farthing' came from. They were brass & illegally made by shops pubs etc to plug the shortfall of small change. The Govt turned a blind eye for several years & then clamped down & so they because worthless also many shops would not except the 1 token & wanted several back. They mostly were only exchangeable in the shop of issue, although they started to be traded in their own right. Shops on the same street with agreements to exchange for real money would take other shops tokens, I have also found them at fair sites.

Yours looks like the issuer is Robert Fanvces, the reverse is the bit you need to ID it properly & it starts *IN ??NN PEGES. We need what it said after the 'in' because that is the town or villiage name?

Upvote 0
Nice find! :icon_thumright: It's a 17th century trade token farthing.

Here's a reference off an online price list.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...OTwX4e1bIjdltbDbw&sig2=pdNId6GEOyDu6ZolLT5LBA

Norfolk W-81 Robert Fraunces/in Lyn Regis. (Apothecarie’s Arms) RARE, unpriced AF $62

Well done, I couldn't read the Kings Lynn bit. Now its easy to find in the book:

Robert Fravnces Apothecaries Arms has no price in the book, which indicates it is indeed rare & a minimum price of £42.

Full incription reads - 'Robert Fravnces in Lynn Regis'

Last edited:
Upvote 0
'A stone in St Margaret's Church was inscribed: "M. S. Exuviae Roberti Fauncis, Pharmacopoloe, qui obiit Maij 16, A Aetat ___ Chr., 1686'

Found the above about the issuer, he was a pharmacist.

As the below has no image of this rare token you could email them one for their site, because it is in good condition for this type of token:

http://www.britishfarthings.com/Tokens/17th-Century/Norfolk/Lynn_Regis-01.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back