Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had it for years (25+) never a clue to what it is. Don't even remember how I even got it. Heck, it could be something that was in a box of cereal. ;D Several people looked at it at the CTH & thought some type of token. PBK, need your help here big time.

;) RR

token2 (8).jpg
tokenback (4).jpg
token2 (5).jpg
tokenback (5).jpg

Am i seeing the date right? it looks like 18 forty something. Sorry I cant help with ID.

Upvote 0
warsawdaddy said:
????Looks like an ol' prospector panning for gold.
I agree with Warsaw on this RR....184?..

Upvote 0
Okay, RR... got it!

It's a 19th century game counter (token used like play money or poker chips), one of a number of "Gold Miner Counters." The obverse, worn away on yours, imitated the design of the Coronet head U.S. gold pieces of the mid 1800's. The date is 1849. It's uncertain where these were made. Some sources suggest that they were struck in the U.S., possibly in San Francisco; others, that they were struck in Germany, where many other game counters were being produced at that time.

These pieces are listed in American Game Counters by Rulau and Fuld.

9369_1.JPG940c_1.JPG

Upvote 0
PBK,

Man, I've been trying to get this IDed for 25+ years and you ID it within 10 minutes. Now, what really baffles me how did I get it? I never really protected it, but it is now in one of those coin holders. Wonder if it is worth anything? Thanks, PBK! :-*

;) RR

Upvote 0
Per a PM request, here's a side by side comparison. There are several die varieties, so not all of the details may be identical, but the basic design is the same.

RRP.jpg940c_1 copy.JPG

Upvote 0
Looks to have a gold prospector on it with a possible date of 1849. Heck no matter what it's surely a neat find!

You might want to ask a gold assayer for their opinion. I would think they may have seen a picture of one, at some point.

Upvote 0
Nice find
and ID from the Wizard ;D PBK

First look, it was a guy on a motorbike.

Maybe I've been riding too much lately?? (NEVER!!!)

Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0
Now that's an AWESOME find! But just as AWESOME is the swift ID of the item!!

Way to go!

-Buckleboy

Upvote 0
well I'll be, good on both ya'll, I dident have a clue when you brought it to the hunt, sure like to see a value on that

Upvote 0
TEXAN Connection said:
well I'll be, good on both ya'll, I dident have a clue when you brought it to the hunt, sure like to see a value on that

This one brought $40 on eBay less than two months ago:

8449_1.JPG8376_1_b.JPG

Upvote 0
amazingly fast ID PBK-- by the way I want my lamp with the all knowing Genie back he's complaining that your wearing him out -- Ivan

Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
amazingly fast ID PBK-- by the way I want my lamp with the all knowing Genie back he's complaining that your wearing him out -- Ivan

Aw, heck... not him, too? Lately I seem to be rubbing everybody the wrong way! :D

Upvote 0
I'm sitting here shaking my head PBK. To ID something like that as quickly as you did is truely amazing.

And the Research Queen didn't even complain that you beat her this time ;D

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back