Any advice on Heaton Flats?

SNIFFINNUGGZZZ

Greenie
Mar 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there everybody, I went out prospecting for the second time this weekend with my girlfriend and cousin, we actually pulled some color this time We are all so excited with the little specs we took home! Anyways I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on the area like where is the best place to set up and start digging? Because we walked in I would say about a mile maybe a mile and a quarter hiked down the steep hill walked over some exposed bedrock and set up on the other side of that near some other larger holes people had dug. I was able to talk to a couple other prospectors out there one reason we set up there was because another guy who was walking in at the same time as us had suggested it for us and we are very happy with our little gold specs but now we've got gold fever lol. I was told by three different prospectors that the better gold is deeper like three miles in so thats where i plan to go next time I think. I appreciate any information i can get thank you for reading this

Keep sampling til you find a good spot. If u want to find more gold, sampling in the key. no ones going to draw an X on the ground for you =D. Good Luck!

Why thank you for the information sir I wasnt looking for an X on the ground just some advice on the area thats all.

Do you have any maps of the area? REI has some great ones with the hiking trails marked, and one of them has some of the old mine's locations marked. Look for gulches/tributaries, the one's that converge off of Iron mountain are known to be Gold bearing. Heaton flats is probably not the trail you want to go on, it goes up the South West ridges and gulches of Iron mountain. Unless you want to hack through bushes and camp while you mountain climb, the East fork is probably your best bet. By the time you get out to Heaton, there wouldn't be much time to work, unless it is a camping trip. I also recommend checking it out on Google Earth, you can see trails in and around the East Fork, and you can mark elevation, gps, & landmarks.

Remember that area had a massive flood about 75 years ago, the one that washed all those bridges out. Look on the edges for some benches that might have been left up there durring the event. I hiked up to the bridge to nowhere once but didn't get much time to look for gold. I passed some enormously huge boulders on the way. And some of the washed out bridge pieces are still there. I was thinking of looking under those.

Nuggzz, if you aren't already a member of a club, check us out, http://www.route66goldminers.org/ . Clubs are the best way to gain knowledge and experience.

Yea I second that motion( which is what we do at the monthly Club Meetings). A club likes its members to find what they're looking for, and you meet people with years of experience to draw from. I started out with the GPAA for several years, then went on my own. I joined the PCSC on the first of this year and they do a monthly "on claim" outing, Which I always try to make. Clubs have their own claims you can work on anytime you want as a member.
Now you mentioned Heaton Flats at EF River. That is still my favorite spot for over 10 years now. I've prospected both above and below Heaton but, for me, it's where I've found my best gold.:goldpan:
This is all Heaton Gold and it's only 1/4 of what I found there.:goldpan:
1023120952.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back