Antique Sleigh Bell #10 in my front yard

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Antique Sleigh Bell in my front yard

I got home from work today and had to get my daily regimen of MD in. I only had a few minutes to do so, so I just went looking in my 1 acre yard. I was sweeping the yard right beside the road when I heard a choppy signal and was going to pass over but decided to dig anyway. As I dug and dug the sound became much better and this is what I pulled from the ground.

I did some research and here are the details I came up with
It's an antique petal classic brass sleigh bell from the 1850 to 1900 era. It is 2 3/8" in diameter by 2 3/4" in height, and weighs 5 oz
Man you just never know whats under your feet!
6-7 012.JPG6-7 013.JPG6-7 014.JPG6-7 015.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
These bells are one of my favorite things to find. Just goes to show that if you dig those choppy signals you just may get rewarded !

VPR

aint it cool!!!!!!

I like your bell better than the one I found earlier this spring.Yours has etching...Nice Job

Nice find Gunner. Should be at least one of those at every old farm/house site in Bedford County. Here's a few from a little west of you that were found in Westmoreland County. As you can see by comparing the size of the stirrup, they come pretty large as well.bells 003.jpg

Congrats on a nice crotal bell. :thumbsup: I always like finding them. WTG

HH

Thanks guys, I'm beginning to wonder if it's not made from brass, it sure seems heavy. It would be neat to discover if it belonged to my great grandfather who owned an open sleigh. It was on the same farm...never know.

i found one almost identical to yours this spring. mine says no. 3 on the bottom, is there any writing on the bottom of yours?

I believe it's the number 10. I can't say for sure due to corrosion but the 0 is distinct
Any guess as to the age of it?

i found mine a month ago and set it aside, seeing yours brought it back in to focus. i will have to do my own research i guess. i will get some info on it and post pictures.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back