Antique Makeup Compact and Bullet Casing

AdventureAce21

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2024
Greetings from Upstate NY!

Since there has been a slight chill in the air this week, I decided to visit Tnet and give an update about my summer finds. By far my most exciting find was a Victorian sash buckle (not pictured). A few yards away I unearthed what seems to be an antique makeup compact. I am unsure as how I will approach cleaning the compact, as it appears to still have pigment caked inside it.
Any cleaning tips would be appreciated. My goal is to preserve what I find, so I am hesitant to dislodge the makeup from the compact—I think it tells a story.

My other find came today. While combing a beach I discovered a bullet casing. I am still researching what caliber. One thing to know is that I'm still a metal detecting novice, so even though these finds might not be as valuable as coins, they are still thrilling to uncover for me. These kinds of finds are what drew me to the hobby: who left the compact behind? How did the ejected casing get there?

Unfortunately, my situation probably will not allow me to go treasure hunting until next summer (at least not metal detecting). However, I'm excited about all the untapped potential for detecting my area has. For instance, I've found more interesting objects in the Adirondack mountains than I've found on the Atlantic coast.
Until next time,

AdventureAce21

Attachments

• 20240823_152056.jpg
    20240823_152056.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
Upvote 5

Since there has been a slight chill in the air this week, I decided to visit Tnet and give an update about my summer finds. By far my most exciting find was a Victorian sash buckle (not pictured). A few yards away I unearthed what seems to be an antique makeup compact. I am unsure as how I will approach cleaning the compact, as it appears to still have pigment caked inside it.
Any cleaning tips would be appreciated. My goal is to preserve what I find, so I am hesitant to dislodge the makeup from the compact—I think it tells a story.

My other find came today. While combing a beach I discovered a bullet casing. I am still researching what caliber. One thing to know is that I'm still a metal detecting novice, so even though these finds might not be as valuable as coins, they are still thrilling to uncover for me. These kinds of finds are what drew me to the hobby: who left the compact behind? How did the ejected casing get there?

Unfortunately, my situation probably will not allow me to go treasure hunting until next summer (at least not metal detecting). However, I'm excited about all the untapped potential for detecting my area has. For instance, I've found more interesting objects in the Adirondack mountains than I've found on the Atlantic coast.
Until next time,

AdventureAce21
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Until next time,

AdventureAce21
I finally got it open!

Attachments

• 20240823_212703.jpg
    20240823_212703.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back