Antique Gold Ring - 18 within shield mark 1800s??

coinsnapper

Tenderfoot
Jul 2, 2011
Worcester MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Whites IDX PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Today while detecting an old field in MA I found a nice gold ring. I could use some help dating it or identifying its origin. The ring is smaller and probably a womans. On the inside there is a marking that appears to be the number 18 within a shield. I assume the 18 is the carat but would like to know if from the shield I can determine origin or date. Any help is appreciated! I found it close to an 1837 large cent and some flat buttons so at this point I am assuming early 1800s. Thanks.

PS sorry for lower quality of image. I had to crop from a much larger photo. I will post better pics if I can take them.

Attachments

• Oct 10, 2013 gold ring.jpg
    Oct 10, 2013 gold ring.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 259
Maybe you can draw it? To show what the shield looks like :-)

Upvote 0
I have a signet ring with an 18 in a shield. It also has a makers mark "B.K & Co". The ring bears the Howe family crest and is a family heirloom, but I do not know anything of its history other than my family history goes back to the Massachusetts area. The crest is the same one that appears in a picture in the famous Longfellows Wayside Inn. I suspect my ring is from late 1800s but can't say for certain. Not sure if this helps you to date it, but if you have found out any information from elsewhere that would help date it I'd be interested to know because I have drawn a blank on being able to track down any information. image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 0
any competent jeweler could fix it like new for you. looks like a common wedding ring from the 19th century.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back