Antique Frame Surprise

thehunter123

Feb 8, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey yall! I went to the antique store today in search of an old frame for a project I’m working on. I picked up a nice, very old frame with a crappy looking still life print inside for cheap. To my surprise, there was an original, very well-preserved charcoal portrait hidden behind it—it was used as the backing! Any idea on an approximate age of the portrait? Thanks in advance!
IMG_1828.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1826.jpeg
    IMG_1826.jpeg
    927.4 KB · Views: 82
Upvote 14
Hey yall! I went to the antique store today in search of an old frame for a project I’m working on. I picked up a nice, very old frame with a crappy looking still life print inside for cheap. To my surprise, there was an original, very well-preserved charcoal portrait hidden behind it—it was used as the backing! Any idea on an approximate age of the portrait? Thanks in advance!View attachment 2120908
What a great find. Beautiful portrait too. Looks Victorian to me.
I’m sure there will be some experts on here who can give more info.
Congrats to you,
MM

Nicely done. I would put the ladies’ fashion as from 1910-1920 or thereabouts. I would also take a closer look at the frontal print too, or get an expert assessment. It’s from a work by the Hungarian artist John (Jeno) Friedlinger (1890-1963). If it’s an original period lithograph it could be worth $300-$500

Last edited:
Hey yall! I went to the antique store today in search of an old frame for a project I’m working on. I picked up a nice, very old frame with a crappy looking still life print inside for cheap. To my surprise, there was an original, very well-preserved charcoal portrait hidden behind it—it was used as the backing! Any idea on an approximate age of the portrait? Thanks in advance!View attachment 2120908
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Very nice. I’d say after 1910. The clothes can fool us: they give a clue as to the earliest possible date, but not to the exact date. This could have been drawn in the 30s, from an older
Photo. Still very nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back