✅ SOLVED Antique Clock or Timer What is it?

Turnabuck

Jul 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have a clue what this is. Two hands. Just four numbers. Very, very old. Found at a flea market today. clock1.jpgclock2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8243.JPG
    IMG_8243.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_8244.JPG
    IMG_8244.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 110
I have no idea what this is, maybe something that would have been on a ship? or maybe a ringer for the maids, they would know what room to go to.

Upvote 0
That was used to call the help. The master of the house would push a button at a location and the hand would point to the number that represented a room. At the same time the bell would gong to alert the help. That was usually in the kitchen. They usually had a push button to reset the hand. Frank...

7-06  WOODCUTS 015-1.jpgI haven't seen one since I was 10 .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wild Wild stuff - I like frankn's idea

Upvote 0
Looks like a 4 party "party-line" telephone ringer.

Upvote 0
I thought of Time Clock at first,??
Now I like the phone ringer idea.

Tim

Upvote 0
I think Frankn has the right idea. Found this listed as a 4 Room annunciator and same purpose as Frankn stated. And if you google it, you'll find other examples, as well as some made for multiple rooms.

Worthpoint said:
This is a 4 Room Annunciator electric door bell system which would be placed in the servants hall and used to call for service. A charge of electricity causes the bell to ring and one of the needles to point to the room # w service is required. Calls are cancelled by pushing up the plunger at the bottom.

annunciator 4-room.jpg

Upvote 0
Looks like a 4 party "party-line" telephone ringer.

There was no dial on a party line. You picked it up and listened to see if it was in use. To use it you turned the crank. Frank...

hand print-2_edited-7.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. The one you pictured GpSnoopy is the exact same minus the paint loss. You can't see it in the photos but the button at the bottom is there to reset. Good job.

Upvote 0
We had a party line as a kid and if someone was using it, we waited but we didnt have a crank. Im not that old. No private conversations. It may also have had bell recognition for incoming.
Our phone number started with 2 letters. HO985 I think (Hobart 985)

Good ID Frankn. Your phone had a crank?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back