Antique box? What is it?

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Cabella's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN8610.JPGDSCN8611.JPGDSCN8612.JPGDSCN8613.JPGDSCN8614.JPGDSCN8616.JPGDSCN8617.JPGDSCN8618.JPGDSCN8619.JPGDSCN8620.JPGDSCN8621.JPGDSCN8623.JPGDSCN8624.JPGDSCN8625.JPGDSCN8626.JPGDSCN8609.JPG:icon_scratch::icon_scratch:

I have a very similar one that my father-in-law (a cabinetmaker) made to hold his circular saw. I still use it.

Upvote 0
or the box to some school science kit or scope etc.

Upvote 0
It's about my age, and that aint antique. Vintage is the polite word. Made with plywood, slotted brass screws, I'd say sometime around WWII.

Upvote 0
Earlier than WWII the box would probably be solid wood, and it was a few years after WWII that Phillip head screws became popular. That's just my thinking on the subject.

Upvote 0
I think it looks like a box that would be in a school science department to hold lab equipment as UncleMac said.

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0
There are several people in the U.S. named Mike Altenburger. If you could give us some history of where you got the box, perhaps the state, it might be a clue to what it is via the person's name.

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0
Bingo, used to house scientific instruments for high school use. My teaching career started in 1983 in a high school built in 1933. It is a National Historic Landmark here. We had many of those boxes that held old brass microscopes from the 20's-30's. We were ordered to throw them(boxes) out. We did, although a few of the custodians took some home for tools, carpenter tools and general use. The boxes had those old microscopes with just the mirror to reflect light. Anyway, we(science teachers) tossed the boxes, the microscopes and the rest of the contents in the boxes(lens, parts, etc). I was new and followed orders. It would not be the only things that ever got tossed. Ah, your educational system at work. Oh yeah, boxes were from the 40's. Microscopes just fit. Originally may have contained anything or nothing. Never knew...

Upvote 0
yeah Charlie I have the same thing from my Grandfather, mine was made and holds an older Black and Decker circular saw as well, only thing different is a piece of wood mounted side to side for the saw to sit on

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back