Attachments

• MVC-001E.JPG
    MVC-001E.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 3,388
  • MVC-002E.JPG
    MVC-002E.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 3,270
Re: Antiphlogistene?

I believe tins like that were in use in the 1940's and maybe 50's. Antiphlogistine is still around today:

Click on this link.

Also sold in buckets or tubs as horse liniment.

Upvote 0

Being a nurse I can tell from the ingredients that it is probably some sort of pain relieving cream. Never heard of it though.

Upvote 0

In Canada today, it's called A-535 RUB and used in pain relief. "For more than 80 years, the RUB A535 line of topical analgesics has provided Canadians with rapid and long lasting relief from muscle and arthritis pain. A-535 RUB is also known as ANTIPHLOGISTINE, the name it had when first introduced as a poultice in 1919. In the Quebec market, the product bears both names that people have come to know and trust. The RUB A535 Topical Analgesic Cream, with its familiar peppermint-like fragrance, was first introduced in 1957. It is believed that A535 refers to the original formula name used by the scientists who developed the product. Whatever its beginnings, RUB A535 has become the best selling topical analgesic in Canada, accounting for more than 30 per cent of all topical analgesic sales."
Don.....

http://www.77canadapharmacy.com/buy/rub-a535.php

Upvote 0

Aye, there's the rub!

According to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, the brand name Antiphlogistine was registered in 1905, with claims of its first use in commerce in 1893. This script trademark (which appears at the top of the lid) was also registered in 1905:
ImageAgentProxy-1.gif
The additional trademark of the name Antiphlogistine with a shaded band or stripe running through it (also seen on the lid) was registered in 1948, with claims of its first use in commerce in 1942:
ImageAgentProxy.gif
Therefore, as I suggested in my first post, this particular container could date as early as the 1940's

Upvote 0
Thanks for the thourough identification. Apparently it is no longer sold or used in the U.S. outside of veterinary use, most commonly horses. I wonder why, as it is still widely used and very popular in Canada?

"Whatever its beginnings, RUB A535 (Antiphlogistene) has become the best selling topical analgesic in Canada, accounting for more than 30 per cent of all topical analgesic sales". Canadapharmacy.com.

Maybe I will heat it in a pan of boiling water and try this poultice on my next sore muscle. :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back