another trek to the ATV trails yesterday

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Had to take yesterday off and in the afternoon I bundled myself up in two layers of everything and went to my ATV trails to a little winter detecting. When I got there I wanted to concentrate on areas that I had found coins and dig everything up. Well this turned out to not be the case because I could not get through the frozen ground. Decided to stay in the grass areas and was able to get through the dirt due to the insulation of the grass and leaves.
Got a couple of hits that naturally I do not know what they are, that is why I am posting here.

The first item of interest I have some idea of. It is a machine bolt of somesort and has the words "W. B. Sears & Co. Middletown, NY" on it and that surrounds the letters W, M, & B which are around a shield. I found that this was a company that was formed in Middletown in 1853 and was called Wheeler, Madden, and Bakewell and they made saws. In 1860 another person joined and it became Wheeler, Madden and Clemson. The factory actually still stands to this day, even though I do not think it is a saw factory anymore. The first two pics show this item form the front and the side.
It was probably affixed to a tool.

The second item is a clasp or something. The only thing I can see on it is "30 FEET". I am thinking this could have come from an old tape measure? Any ideas??
The next 2 pics show this item closed and opened.

Lastly this item I have no idea what it is. It is a plate off something and seems to have some bolt/knob on it. I can get better pics of this if anyone would like. This item is the last 2 pics. Any ideas on this also?

I am thinking that by the artifacts I am finding from this location that possibly the person was some sort of handyman or carpenter or something like that. I have found 2 axe heads here, a machete, a curved saw blade and various other items. POssibly it was a blacksmith or carriage maker or something in that respect. ANyway thanks for looking at c'mon spring!!

HH

Funkman

Attachments

• IMG_1431.JPG
    IMG_1431.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_1435.JPG
    IMG_1435.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_1432.JPG
    IMG_1432.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_1434.JPG
    IMG_1434.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_1443.JPG
    IMG_1443.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_1444.JPG
    IMG_1444.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 315
I think you've nailed both items on the head. The bolt in the saw handle and a clasp from what may have been a chalk line would be my guess.

Upvote 0
The last item is part of the frame from an old travel clock.

D.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back