Another Successful Hunt

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back out to my favorite Ft Ancient site where I have been finding everything and crawled around for 4 hours yesterday. I only found one flint artifact and that was a little Knife, but I found 3 Bone Beads, 1 Marginella Shell Bead, a Shell Disc Bead, and the first Olivella Shell Bead I have ever found. I also found another Drilled Tooth, 4 Deer Antler Tines that have been cut and snapped off the rack, a Deer Antler Point that is broken out through the drilled hole, a broken Discoidal, a Deer Toe Tinkler, a piece of Bead Stock(what is left after they cut the Bead off the Bone), and some odds and ends. The stone piece in the top center is probably natural and I wouldn't have thought a thing of it if I hadn't found it on this site, but it has the look of a Claw Effigy which was a common symbol for them. It's more than likely a geofact, but it's still cool looking.

The 1st picture is the days haul.

The 2nd is of the Beads, the Drilled Tooth, the Deer Antler Point, and a Shell Pendant broke through the hole.

The 3rd is the Deer Antler Tines and the Knife.

The 4th shows the Bead Stock, the Deer Toe Tinkler, an Antler Drift, and a tip off of a Bone Awl.

Attachments

• New001.jpg
    New001.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 421
  • New002.jpg
    New002.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 433
  • New003.jpg
    New003.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 434
  • New004.jpg
    New004.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 430
Upvote 0
Steve, looks like you did pretty well. The drilled tooth is killer. Looks like a turkey spur in there??

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. We find a lot of Turkey Spurs on this site and our other Ft Ancient sites and they are always cut from the bone. I'm sure they used them for something.

that drilled tooth is awsome! And a turkey spur? Thanks for showing that. Lots of interesting stuff there.

Great rescue on the bone artifacts. They will in time quickly disappear. You are getting a nice strand of drilled teeth I imagine. Are you in a shell miden??
Nice finds for sure.
TnMtns

Another good hunt. I do like the canine tooth though..
Thanks for showing us your finds Steve.

Molly.

GREAT STUFF! I always like to look at your finds you find a nice variety of artifacts.

TnMountains said:
Great rescue on the bone artifacts. They will in time quickly disappear. You are getting a nice strand of drilled teeth I imagine. Are you in a shell miden??
Nice finds for sure.
TnMtns

The middens here are all full of Shell, Pottery, Bone, and Flint and you find a lot of broken or damaged pieces in the middens but ocassionally you'll come across a real killer.

That drilled tooth got my banner vote, amazing relic congrats...

272 veiws and 8 replies. I think us 8 must be coming back time and again to see your killer finds .... :thumbsup:
HH
TnMtns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back