Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gem.jpg
whatcha think?

Your sample is very simular to those I find all the time. Conditions are favorable for these types of stones to have crystals grow in and on them.. thou I can't say that its a speical type of rock you have.. Just conditions are favorable for the crystals.
However, if the stones looks (which I really can't see in the image) to have a milky build up (mostly agate based) then it could be a chalcedony/agate/quartz mixture.. and it could have attempted to turn into a geode or thunder egg.. Make a note of the crystals.. rounded or pointed?..

Upvote 0
Crystals are rounded but the mineral/gem has facets. I would get better pic but my buddy has it.

Upvote 0
Crystals are rounded but the mineral/gem has facets. I would get better pic but my buddy has it.

The rock you have has a mineral In it. The "facets" you are seeing are the crystal faces of the mineral. All crystals have faces. The crystal habit of that particular mineral differs from that of surrounding mineral. Facets are man made cuttings on a mineral to turn it into a gem. All minerals can be turned into gems, but not all gems are minerals.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok thanks for clearing that up.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back