Another Random Field Pay Off - Hammered & Roman Silver Republic 111BC...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our plan was to try a field that was easy to dig in these dry conditions. We had a field in mind but when I arrived, I changed the plan to a field I have never done. Cru'dad thought he had once scouted it without success but this didn't put me off. We could always change at half time.
I headed to a dark linear patch & when I got there I saw it was next to a linear bump, which I took to be an old track or an old field boundary. I now believe it might be the oldest auxiliary Roman Road leading to our Roman Town. Its been lost but they think it cut throw near this area.
4 hours;

Crotal Bell
17th C Token
13th C Annular Buckle
Medieval Spur Rowel
2 Leather Mounts
Medieval fitment (I think a belt hanger)
3 Roman Fibula, all 1st C AD, one nice Hod Hill variant we need.
Romano-Celtic 1st C AD Ring (some red enamel in a sun shape)
Hammered Penny of Charles I
Scarce - Circa 111BC Republic Denarius of Claudia - Need this one & it rare for us to find Republic coinage!

Pretty good hunch to try it, glad I changed plans.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG

Upvote 21
Nice hunt! That's a lot of Roman finds. Guessing you will be back there finding the road.

Congratulations on the republic silver.

Nice hunt! That's a lot of Roman finds. Guessing you will be back there finding the road.
Pretty sure I know where the road crosses the field. If you didn't know better, you would think searching an area next to or on a Roman Road would be good. In our experience the finds come from 500mtrs or more off the road.

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING FINDS :) Thanks for sharing with us.

Our plan was to try a field that was easy to dig in these dry conditions. We had a field in mind but when I arrived, I changed the plan to a field I have never done. Cru'dad thought he had once scouted it without success but this didn't put me off. We could always change at half time.
I headed to a dark linear patch & when I got there I saw it was next to a linear bump, which I took to be an old track or an old field boundary. I now believe it might be the oldest auxiliary Roman Road leading to our Roman Town. Its been lost but they think it cut throw near this area.
4 hours;

Crotal Bell
17th C Token
13th C Annular Buckle
Medieval Spur Rowel
2 Leather Mounts
Medieval fitment (I think a belt hanger)
3 Roman Fibula, all 1st C AD, one nice Hod Hill variant we need.
Romano-Celtic 1st C AD Ring (some red enamel in a sun shape)
Hammered Penny of Charles I
Scarce - Circa 111BC Republic Denarius of Claudia - Need this one & it rare for us to find Republic coinage!

Pretty good hunch to try it, glad I changed plans.

View attachment 2167307View attachment 2167308View attachment 2167309View attachment 2167310View attachment 2167311View attachment 2167312View attachment 2167313
Outstanding!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back