Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this tiny item in the midst of 6-7 eagle buttons. Its from a Union campsite and very far from the nearest farm house. I was thinking it might be a remnant of something Civil War related.
It's brass and steel. In one photo you can see a tiny slot along the bottom edge. What doesn't show well in the photo is a super small brass circle mounted in the edge below that slot...it can only be seen under high magnification. If you look close in the last picture it shows at about the 10 o'clock position. I'm afraid to throw away anything from these sites without input from those more knowledgeable. I almost scrapped a musket wrench once!

Any ideas on this?

Finds - 12 Apr 2018.JPG_MG_7657.JPG _MG_7658.JPG _MG_7659.JPG _MG_7660.JPG

Last edited:
It looks like possibly a small drawer pull off of a field desk ..or something of that nature ..

My other thought was a choke knob off of an old car or tractor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Interesting piece. I've never seen anything like that. Is the 'super small circle' large enough to pass a sewing needle through it? Are you sure it isn't a fabrication error or from corrosion?

Maybe the item was covered with fabric and part of a shoulder epaulet.

I'm just guessing but that's all I can come up with at the moment.

detail.jpg

Upvote 0
Interesting piece. I've never seen anything like that. Is the 'super small circle' large enough to pass a sewing needle through it? Are you sure it isn't a fabrication error or from corrosion?

View attachment 1585872

It definitely could be a fabrication error or lucky corrosion. It's so small I doubt a sewing needle would fit.

Is that a " nut " in the middle ? "

It looks more like a rivet definitely not a nut.

hollow points??????? never saw a bullet like those

They're three ringers that have been pulled.

Upvote 0
Im thinking a button or a pin that has possible corroded together. The item it was snapped on {clothing maybe} has rotted away

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back