Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessin he's a private ? I'm trying to figure out what the scribbles on the back say . I think I see Yours Very Truly (upper left)
Then John ?? B

and the 3 initials H.F.A or is it K.F.A (Kentucky First Artillery?)

I have no idea what the lower left says . Too bad the photo was clipped , they did that a lot back then to make them fit in the photo album slots better .

thanks for any info?

mojjax

Attachments

• Picture 004 (3).jpg
    Picture 004 (3).jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 346
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 355
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 352
It's me, in my younger days!!!!! :D

This is a great photo. I buy ones like this at flea markets. I would have bought this one.

I wish I could tell you something about it, it's awesome. I hope someone does.

DM

Upvote 0
D.C. Bettison was born in Louisiana about 1836 to Joseph R. Bettison and Ann Eliza "UNKNOWN". He had approx 8 siblings (older and younger). In 1850, the family lived at Louisville District 3, Jefferson Co, Kentucky. His father was an M.D. (Medical Doctor). His father was born in South Carolina and his mother in Kentucky. This census was taken 2 August 1850.

On 19 July 1860...I find DC living with his parents in Louisville Ward 8, Jefferson Co, Kentucky. He is now 24 yrs of age. He was 14 listed on the 1850 census. His father is listed as a Physician and DC....is listed for his occupation as an Ambrotypist...

What is this you ask? Don't worry, I had to look it up too...I thought it had to do with the medical field LOL...but here goes:

"am·bro·type (ăm'brō-tīp')
n.
An early type of photograph made by imaging a negative on glass backed by a dark surface."

In other words, another word for saying he was a photographer!

Can't seem to find him on the 1870 or 1880 census. I found his parents on the 1870...hmmm? So, I tried searching the civil war records, thinking he may have joined forces. He still may have...just haven't found him (yet). But did find his father and brother.

His father was a acting Ass't Surgeon during the Civil War (1861-1865) with the Confederate Troops. (M818 Roll 3).
Regiment: Gen. & Staff Infantry Regiment Confederate States
Regiment State: Confederate States
Regiment Type: Infantry
Regiment Number: Gen. & Staff
Regimental History - Battles Fought
Fought on 12 Apr 1862 at Blair's Landing, LA.
Fought on 3 Jul 1863 at Gettysburg, PA.
Fought on 4 Sep 1864 at Greenville, TN.
Fought on 19 Oct 1864 at Cedar Creek, VA.
Fought on 1 Apr 1865.

His brother, Croghan, was also a Confederate Solider, a Private with the 2 (Woodward's) Kentucky Calvary, 2nd Regiment-Kentucky Calvary (M377 Roll 1) and also ranked in as a Private and ranked out as a 2nd Lt with the 1st Kentucky Infantry, 1st Regiment. (M377 Roll 1)

I found some info that shows D.C. Bettison was taking photos from atleast 1864 up to 1887. I could not find him on any rolls for the Civil War...name could have been spelled wrong too! Maybe the man in this photo was part of the regiment that his father and/or brother belonged too!!! I figure his name to be John M. Ba---.

I tried variations of surnames...like BAY* .. BAP*...it could even be BAF*...based on the way the "s" was written in those days. Would almost look like an "f". I found "John" for many of the variations, just can't pinpoint it.

Under his name looks more to me to be N.J.A. (New Jersey Artillary?)

Could not find any newspaper articles on D.C. Bettison either..was hoping to find something of an ad for his business :(

Anyways...tried to help...this would take some time to research. Was hoping to find info on the photographer, maybe to pinpoint the man in the photograph...sorry :(

Nice photo...I have one I bought at an estate sale..I wanted the frame, but still have that photo...still trying to research that photo too!

Upvote 0
I think the shoulder patches would indicate he was an officer rather than a private. Monty

Upvote 0
Thanks for all that info Ron and Ann!

I found a roster list of the Kentucky Light Artillery . There is a J. M. Bryson about 1/3 down the page . I wonder if it's him ? He is listed as a Private , maybe he was promoted to Captain when the picture was taken . It would be neat to find a 'name' for the 'face' .

http://www.rootsweb.com/~orphanhm/rostercobb.htm

mojjax

Upvote 0
It wouldn't be unusual for someone to enlist as a private and be promoted to Captain because of family ties or political connections during the Civil War era. Or the photograper could have loaned him a captains uniform just for the sake of the picture. Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back