Another Mill Site Score!!

B

BiggusDiggus

Hunted the old mill site this morning for about an hour and a half. Found this 1858 seated quarter about 5-6inches down on the backside of an old stone wall. No mint mark, but in decent shape minus the 150years of tarnish. Stoked to have found this site, keeps giving up goodies. HH

ForumRunner_20130730_141310.png

ForumRunner_20130730_141328.png

Upvote 17
Wow that's a really nice find and in great shape too... Congrat..

HOLY TARNISHED SILVER!

That coin is awesome! Leave it just like it is and put it in a little holder so you can admire it!

Nice job!

RJGMC
HI BOB!

Thanks Everybody!! I have put it in a proper holding case for storage. No plans to clean it. I'm also surprised in how nice of condition its in, way more defined than the other I found. Is it worth getting graded? Initially when I dug it up it was so packed with dirt I thought it might be a copper, until I rinsed her off. Then the head bang and a thanks to the silver gods..

Hi Biggus ,

hope you don't mind the question
What else did you dig at the mill site ??? , should be more than one coin . If that's all you got , at least it was the best shape you could possibly hope for .

Thanks , for any more info

8-) cmd

Hey CMD, I've been finding a lot of different stuff..junk, old strap iron pieces, tools, copper strapping?, jars with metal lids, small buckles, lead clumps, cans, goo tubes, you name it.The area was used from the 1760s until the 1930s there are a few different sites along the river over about a two and a half mile stretch I'd guess. I've been concentrating on the easiest accessible area for now just cause of the heat, and have been slightly picky digging solid +50 vdi targets. Its hard hunting and digging due to the vines and roots everywhere, but I feel I've only scratched the surface of this place..looking forward to the fall for cooler weather and less ground vegatation. Check out the coin spill I posted previously, from the same area. Hope it answered your question. HH

Some mills would grind grain for farmers who didn't have their own. It was a thriving business in its day, and i'm sure a lot money changed hands.

Great find !

Great looking silver you have there, congrats on the find.

Hey CMD, I've been finding a lot of different stuff..junk, old strap iron pieces, tools, copper strapping?, jars with metal lids, small buckles, lead clumps, cans, goo tubes, you name it.The area was used from the 1760s until the 1930s there are a few different sites along the river over about a two and a half mile stretch I'd guess. I've been concentrating on the easiest accessible area for now just cause of the heat, and have been slightly picky digging solid +50 vdi targets. Its hard hunting and digging due to the vines and roots everywhere, but I feel I've only scratched the surface of this place..looking forward to the fall for cooler weather and less ground vegatation. Check out the coin spill I posted previously, from the same area. Hope it answered your question. HH
Affirmative ,yes , ah uh , Thanks and Hope Lots of Good Finds come your way out at the mill this Fall , hunt those places like there is no tomorrow ;)

Beautiful coin. Will look forward to seeing all the civilian and military buttons that will come from the site.

-Buck

Thanks Everybody!! I have put it in a proper holding case for storage. No plans to clean it. I'm also surprised in how nice of condition its in, way more defined than the other I found. Is it worth getting graded? Initially when I dug it up it was so packed with dirt I thought it might be a copper, until I rinsed her off. Then the head bang and a thanks to the silver gods..

It is really up to you as to whether you want to have the coin certified and graded! It is not a Key Date, Semi-Key Date or a particularly valuable coin but it still would grade out around AU-50 or at the least EF-45.

Liberty Seated Quarters NumisMedia Price Guide-Good-MS60

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back