rock2.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 665
  • rock1.jpg
    rock1.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 669
  • rock2.jpg
    rock2.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 667
I dont think its anything and like everyone on the Indian artifacts they probably just didint want to tell you that it was just a rock either...d2

Upvote 0
d2 said:
I dont think its anything and like everyone on the Indian artifacts they probably just didint want to tell you that it was just a rock either...d2

Thanks d2...I have learned a lot on this site...and appreciate opinions of the "experts" here who take the time to reply...with good or bad news..

gotta go...off to skip some rocks...

Upvote 0
I can imagine that if a predecessor of ours/yours found a rock like that, with the image of a human shape (or am I just imagining that? :o) they would have kept it as something special.
I guess it's your choice now.
Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0
If it were me I would keep it. You picked it up because it looked interesting. Even if it is not an indian artifact (I'm not an expert so i have no idea) I would still keep it. Sometimes I pick up a rock just for the way it looks myself. I have a box I keep them in labeled (very creatively I might add) "interesting rocks".

Upvote 0
is it magnetic? if so cut a piece off and polish the cut end, then post a photo and I may be able to say if it is not a meteorite, but saying for sure it is a meteorite by photographs are many time impossible.
Happy Hunting,
Joe K

Upvote 0
I would try asking a few archeologists (dinosaurs) it might be petrified, like a fossil of some sort. I love rocks like these.

Upvote 0
I can see why you are curious. It does look like it may have been 'worked' at one time.
It seems to be a rough material but maybe could be a chunk of (or) off of a spal.

I think a Spal or spaul?? is the source rock that flakes are chipped from, then worked into arrowheads etc.

Upvote 0
Hey copperhead,

I agree that it looks like an indian artifact primarily because of the gauges that resemble flake scars. But they appear to be the result of bands of harder rock running through the matrix rock. I'd say definitely not an indian artifact. I agree with the other replies though. You should keep it because you picked the little bugger up in the first place.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the comments...I couldn't seem to part with it

randazzo1 said:
Hey copperhead,

I agree that it looks like an indian artifact primarily because of the gauges that resemble flake scars. But they appear to be the result of bands of harder rock running through the matrix rock. I'd say definitely not an indian artifact. I agree with the other replies though. You should keep it because you picked the little bugger up in the first place.

that seems to make sense

I figure I'll keep it...when I'm gone and some relative comes across it... let them wonder if it's....just a rock.

Upvote 0
I had a rock like that it was more round about 7 inches in dia. about 2 inches think in the middle. was flaked so it has a sharp edge all the way around,both sides, i kept in by my fish pond... well i moved and forgot the rock... and I still to this day miss that dumb rock 10 years later.
just thought i would share...lol ;D

Upvote 0
To me it looks as though that stone has had some percussion work done on it. Those scars look as though they are flake lines left when material was removed from pressure flaking. I would pick that stone up and keep it because it has had some work performed on it.

Looks like you got a keeper there and not a bad looking stone with that lighter material there in the middle.

Stryker

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back