Another find from the park...

S

skyrider

Went back the the park we found the old shell casings and relics from.? This time, found a bullet projectile about 3" down...

Now...it appears to be a .45 cal FMJ...a bit corroded (maybe copper?) on the outside, but intact.? This would fit because one of the shell casings we found was a .45 Rem-UMC...and it is presumable that the cadets at Texas A&M would have been practicing with the 1911 around the time the range was there. I will post a pic of the projectile this evening after work.

What I'm wondering is why we're not finding more shell casings and projectiles.? And how was this projectile only 3" down...the shell casings were about 8-10" down!

I'm confused...:)? We're going to hunt an area of the park that used to be a pond later today.

Upvote 0
They probably policed the range for brass-issued x # of rounds, supposed to turn in same # of brass. No clue as to depth difference.

stoney56 said:
They probably policed the range for brass-issued x # of rounds, supposed to turn in same # of brass. No clue as to depth difference.

Yeah...I understand that...(I'm in the Nat'l Guard)...but out of the thousands of rounds they've probably fired there, I figured we'd be finding more...strange...

Quarter seen to be close to the top of the ground for me.
and pennies are most always 3-4" down.

MIGHT BE THAT THEY DID SOME BUILDING UP OF THE RANGE AND MOVED DIRT AROUND. POSSIBLE NEW BUILDINGS GOIN UP IN THE AREA MAY AHVE PROMPTED A LARGER BANK OR A RESTRUCTURING OF THE RANGE--ONE OF THE WAYS YOU MIGHT SEE THE DIFFERENCE IN DEPTH

Thanks for the replies, Folks...I spoke with the archivist for the University today.? He said the area previously (about 20 years ago) was just a big dirt lot...and before that, part of it was submerged.

We went after work today for about an hour and dug up a couple of quarters (a 1965 just under the grass...pulled it out on the first poke from my poking device :)? and a 1989 quarter)...then, decided to go back to where we found the bullet pieces.? No bullets found today though.

Here's a pic of the projectile we found yesterday...shown here with the remnants of the Rem-UMC shell casing we found a few weeks ago for scale...

45.jpg

Cheers!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back