Another Federal Bird Band

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I found another Federal Bird Band detecting near a wetland. My guess is that I have found around a dozen in the past 3 years. I enjoy reporting them, going to the web sites and entering the info then receiving the bird info in return. It is a public service performed by detectorists, contributing to wildlife conservation efforts. They send you an electronic certification of appreciation.

I'm out on the eastern tip of Long Island, an important wetland habitat of the eastern seaboard migration flyway. Fortunately, much of our wetlands have been preserved. Most of bands I have previously found have been black ducks released in Quebec during the 1990's. This one is different, larger and with big seam. The band belonged to a Red-tail Hawk hatched in 1995 and banded on 11/24/1995 in Kiptopeke, VA. That's a long way from here! It was buried so it must have died years ago.

I always see Red-tails in this area. During the Spring they always nest here. I love them, but they do get annoying when they screech at me for detecting near their nests. They have to coexist with the Osprey but seem to keep a good distance apart.

Attachments

• tres353.jpg
    tres353.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 71
Upvote 7
This is the link for reporting your Federal Bands. Usually four digits hyphenated to six more digits. Other private groups did issue bands and release birds, but often they are no longer in business or don't upkeep their databases. You don't receive a reply.

http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbl

Today I found another Federal Bird Band detecting near a wetland. My guess is that I have found around a dozen in the past 3 years. I enjoy reporting them, going to the web sites and entering the info then receiving the bird info in return. It is a public service performed by detectorists, contributing to wildlife conservation efforts. They send you an electronic certification of appreciation.

I'm out on the eastern tip of Long Island, an important wetland habitat of the eastern seaboard migration flyway. Fortunately, much of our wetlands have been preserved. Most of bands I have previously found have been black ducks released in Quebec during the 1990's. This one is different, larger and with big seam. The band belonged to a Red-tail Hawk hatched in 1995 and banded on 11/24/1995 in Kiptopeke, VA. That's a long way from here! It was buried so it must have died years ago.

I always see Red-tails in this area. During the Spring they always nest here. I love them, but they do get annoying when they screech at me for detecting near their nests. They have to coexist with the Osprey but seem to keep a good distance apart.
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

I just received my Certificate of Appreciation from the US Geological Survey for submitting my bird band data. In the cover letter they pointed out that since the program was begun in 1904, "about 60 million birds representing hundreds of species have been banded in North America...about 4 million bands have been recovered and reported."

Remember to scan the area closely when recovering a band. Sometimes there is a color band and\or a band indicating a reward.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back