Another crinoid.. I think

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
Found today in courtyard gravel were at my work. Enlarge and you can see lines coming from circle. From what I researched it’s a type of crinoid fossil. If anyone has different thoughts please feel free to let me know as I do not have a lot of guidance except the internet and a couple of friends. Thanks for viewing. IMG_0176.jpeg

Upvote 5
Crinoids are very common in Mississippian period limestone. There were shallow seas then and crinoids formed large meadows in the shallow water. What you are finding are segments of the stem. When I was a kid there was a gravel driveway in the neighborhood and we’d find them there. We called them Indian beads.

... crinoids formed large meadows in the shallow water. What you are finding are segments of the stem.

Sure looks like a crinoidal fossil, but perhaps a fossil impression rather than an actual segment.

Just for clarity, crinoids are animals related to starfish and sea urchins. They just happen to resemble plants, leading to the popular name of 'sea lilies'. What people often call the 'stalk' or 'stem' is the segmented columnal that connects the feeding apparatus in the crown to the root-like holdfast that anchors them (or, in some species, to a ballon-like flotation structure that allows them to be free-moving).

Sure looks like a crinoidal fossil, but perhaps a fossil impression rather than an actual segment.

Just for clarity, crinoids are animals related to starfish and sea urchins. They just happen to resemble plants, leading to the popular name of 'sea lilies'. What people often call the 'stalk' or 'stem' is the segmented columnal that connects the feeding apparatus in the crown to the root-like holdfast that anchors them (or, in some species, to a ballon-like flotation structure that allows them to be free-moving).
Thank you for the insight!

Crinoids are very common in Mississippian period limestone. There were shallow seas then and crinoids formed large meadows in the shallow water. What you are finding are segments of the stem. When I was a kid there was a gravel driveway in the neighborhood and we’d find them there. We called them Indian beads.
Thank you that is very helpful

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back