Another couple cool copper relics & just maybe 47 grams of silver this time?

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have seen my recent finds well they have been a mixed bag of copper + brass items & my streak of these finds continue. Yesterday I found the following kinda cool items in the same general area as the other stuff I've been finding & btw all these items have been well cleaned by me over the past 24hrs...

#1 Copper boiler/radiator cap "Hoffman Specialty Co. Indianapolis. Ind" (very heavy at 175 grams)

#2 Copper compact case for like powder & applicator or something similar (71.5 grams)

#3 Brass/Copper mix? #8 (old house address #) (60.5 grams)

#4 Brass door knob (prolly circa early 70's & it's 81 grams)

#5 What appears to be a burnt & somewhat melted piece of handle to a pitcher or serving tray or ? that's silver or silver plated. It weighs 47 grams & it was very black out of the ground, looking just like old silver coins that come out of the ground that have been in a fire. It has lightened up somewhat with some soaking in vinegar then in a phosphoric acid & water mix. I used a Dremel & a grinding stone then ground down a small area on the very end. Inside it's very very silvery looking & doesn't burr + feels "soft" & smooth to the touch. Now the strange thing is when I expose the area I ground down to my phosphoric acid & water mix it turns dark if not black again. It hits a solid 80 VDI on my MTX which seems a little low for a 47 gram hunk of silver as it rings in exactly the same as a silver Rosie does so I dunno what to think yet.

#6 Not pictured a 2' length of rusty chain with an unlocked good condition master lock padlock.. No key tho.

#7 Not pictured a big cache (50 if not more) small & big old rusty nails with a couple of aluminum 1' X 3' pieces mixed in, it was nice to see how well the MXT did in telling me there was junk but that there was also something possibly not junk in the hole too. Well I wouldn't call pieces of aluminum anything good but they weren't rusty nails either so it was nice to get confirmation I could tell what the machine was telling me!

No coins at all not one single one:icon_scratch:
DSC01168.JPGDSC01173.JPGDSC01180.JPGDSC01176.JPGDSC01177.JPGDSC01165.JPGDSC01170a.jpgDSC01172a.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You must be in the recycling bussiness ! Nice scores !

That old compact case is in pretty good shape.

Ya it is in descent shape for being found in what I swear had to be an old fire pit, the hinge pin is rusted away tho & it's kinda smashed in the center area.

You must be in the recycling bussiness ! Nice scores !

I feel like Sanford & Sons with all the copper I've been finding not to mention all the brass, I guess if you ain't finding gold then poor mans gold (AKA copper) isn't too bad. If I ever have a silver streak like this copper streak I'll be a happy mofo!

Very, very nice copper.

Anita

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back