fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy found a CSA button yesterday and from what letters we can make out on the back it is "Superior Quality". So, there are period buttons and veteran buttons with the same backmark, the same size and the same variations in the letters on the front. In the picture you can just make out part of "Superior " with the first E at about the 9 O'Clock position. I'll let my buddy post the front if he wants to.
My question is how do you tell a civil war backmark from a post war one?

Attachments

• 3752.jpeg
    3752.jpeg
    351.3 KB · Views: 60
I also found a button with CSA on the face and the back said Superior Quality. For some time the "Experts" didn't believe that was a period button. But now they are accepted as being period civil war buttons. When I found mine, my hunting buddy found two of them. They came off of definite Confederate sites. North South Trader's last price guide, 12th Edition, shows them as being around $200, which is quite a bit less than the ones with the "S. Buckley & Co." backmark, which is shown as around $500.

Upvote 0
Fyrffytr1 wwrote:
> "My question is how do you tell a civil war [Superior Quality] backmark from a post war one?"

The following backmark information applies only to CSA buttons.

If the words Superior Quality are written "in a string" like words in a printed sentence -- meaning, you have to turn the button to read the complete backmark, it is from a civil war era CSA button. Also, there is no star (*) or any other marks between the words Superior and Quality. Please examine the photo below.

If the words Superior Quality are stacked one-atop-the-other, like the message on a square-shaped sign, such as
KEEP
OUT
the button is definitely not a civil war era CSA button. The CSA buttons with the "stacked" words were made after the war ended, for use on Confederate Veteran uniforms... and in the 20th Century, for use on civil war battle re-enactor uniforms. Also, they have a star or dot or other symbol between the words Superior and Quality.

The two photos below show the Superior Quality backmark on original civil war era CSA buttons.

Attachments

• backmark_SuperiorQuality_CSA_wartime_EXC_ f1b0_1.jpg
    backmark_SuperiorQuality_CSA_wartime_EXC_ f1b0_1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 50
  • backmark_SuperiorQuality_CSA_cs81f.jpg
    backmark_SuperiorQuality_CSA_cs81f.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 44
Upvote 0
TCB, I was hoping you would see this thread and reply to it. I hope you are doing well. We all miss you being here. Thanks for the information. My buddy will be pleased to hear his button is authentic.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• 3730.jpeg
    3730.jpeg
    523.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 3771.jpeg
    3771.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back