Another AZ site, Homesite or RR spur

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium
We have found an area that may have been a spot where gold ore was loaded on the train or some such thing. No structure remains but a few bricks, and lots of metal strip pieces. We found a 1912 S wheatie, and a casing from a 44 wcf. ,( as well as a few scorpions!) so we are pretty sure the place goes back a while. Have also found some quartz with a bit of gold.

Here is some of the bigger iron we have found. Anyone have ideas on age or what the larger thing is? My Dad thought it may be a tractor bearing cover.

There is a lot of stuff, trash, in this area we are getting serious about cleaning up. Thanks!!

Attachments

• Ore cart site steel (400 x 300).jpg
    Ore cart site steel (400 x 300).jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 214
  • Ore cart site steel 2 (400 x 300).jpg
    Ore cart site steel 2 (400 x 300).jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 209
Upvote 0
That is a place full of history. I went through Arizona a few years ago and the whole time I was thinking about how fun it would be to treasure hunt. Good luck!

Hey jonster . good finds even if it is all iron. What kind of detectors are you using and if there is quartz bearing gold is it indigenous to the area you are detecting or did it come from a mine elsewhere or nearby. Is the spur still used or is this out in the open somewhere . Is it near a town?Sounds like a lot of fun. Looking forward to the research and conclusions.HH I didn't think hockey was played anymore. LOL

Not all iron, we hope for more coin and brass as the stuff gets cleared! Oddly, we have also four different types of barbed wire out or the six pieces picked up.

I use an old White's Goldmaster 4B. The quartz rock is out of place here, may be some of the ore hauled in on a wagon. It gives a good tone, but I found it on top by sight.
There are RR tracks a couple hundred yards away. A local says the area had a spur a long way back but has no details.

There is nothing in the way of structure in the area now, gold rich Pierce is the closest town. There are plenty of visible places to hunt as well as the gold fields, but this place is plain jane and has been since the fifties.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back