🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Animal scat ID. Is this from a bear?

robertk

Silver Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK I know this isn't the typical "What is it" request, but I thought surely there would be folks on here who would know, so I'm throwing it out there.

This morning we found some large animal scat in the driveway. We've seen and would recognize deer, rabbit, raccoon, and possum scat before. This is different from any of those and way too big. The segments are big, bigger than I'd expect from a dog unless it was a really big dog. I didn't actually measure, but they're probably between an inch and an inch and a half in diameter, maybe five inches long or so on the biggest one.

There are four possibilities I can think of: Bear, mountain lion, wild hog, or really big dog. Photos I saw online of wild hog do not look like this. And I would not expect mountain lion or dog to be eating persimmons, which this animal clearly was, since the seeds are visible in the scat. So what do you guys think? Is this black bear scat? Or something else? (And if so, what?)

Here's a full resolution photo.
IMG_6535.jpeg

I would say yes, most likely black bear. Remote possibility is hog poop, but it usually has a more "compressed pellet" look.

Upvote 2
This morning we found some large animal scat in the driveway. We've seen and would recognize deer, rabbit, raccoon, and possum scat before. This is different from any of those and way too big. The segments are big, bigger than I'd expect from a dog unless it was a really big dog. I didn't actually measure, but they're probably between an inch and an inch and a half in diameter, maybe five inches long or so on the biggest one.
People tell me I am full of "scat" all the time, but I swear that isn't mine!

Last edited:
Upvote 4
Hmm.
A coyote will eat fruit but there's no hair or usual hint of chalk in your sample as there often is with yotes.
A racoon too could be suspect but they are surprisingly picky about where they poop. Deliberate anyways. Usually. Smaller poops but what about a bear cub in comparison?

Bears really like pooping on dirt roads. Perhaps to shout howdy to other bears. I don't know.
But your drive would be ideal too.
Congrats!
Now take down the bird feeder and clean the grill real good.
Secure your garbage and small livestock.

Bears want food. Food is much to do about where in a 25-50 mile range a bear is feeding on a given night.
When your bear leaves your area it will be due to food being elsewhere.
See bear sign? Food was near or at hand. That food source dries up , bear goes to next source.
(Yes , it's 100% about persimmons this day.)

Last edited:
Upvote 4
Black Bear with Persimmon or Paw Paw Seeds.

Upvote 1
More I look at it, the more I'm sure it's a black bear. Like RC said, there's no fur, claws, feathers, etc. showing in it, and coyotes generally can't crap that size, so not a coyote.

Raccoons use a designated "toilet" area, and generally poop there all the time, plus they're not gonna drop a deuce in the wide open of a driveway. Never seen a 'coon poop anywhere near that size.

It's a bear, and I'd definitely suggest following RC's advice. Remove or wash any item outside that might smell like food. Metal trash can's with latching lids if they are going to sit outside, or better yet move it into the garage.

Those bears will likely go into hibernation in a couple of months, but in the meantime they aren't passing up any chance at getting some groceries.
shrk.gif

Upvote 2
I going to break from the pack (pun intended) and go with coyote. While there is no hair visible, a coyote will eat almost anything, and if he found a persimmon tree may have filled his belly. A persimmon isn’t as hard to catch as a rabbit. Also most bear poop I’ve see is more of a pile…..think “poop haystack”

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back