31 July 2010 028.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 390
  • 31 July 2010 025.jpg
    31 July 2010 025.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 383
  • 31 July 2010 028.jpg
    31 July 2010 028.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 380
It's a unique brand due to the odd circular cutout on the left side for the hammer. None I've ever seen before. Find out who made them this way and you've found the manufacturer. Gun Parts Corp. & Dixie Gun Works both have huge catalogs of parts with exploded views and are great reference material for things like this. Is there the remains of a pivot pin for the barrel on the front part of the frame and if so would the barrel have tipped down or turned to the side to load it ? The rounded backplate just in front of the circular cutout for the hammer tells me this may have even been the frame to a small revolver. The problem is the lack of other parts. It seems like every machine shop or factory that had machinery that would do the job in the late 1800s & early 1900s was making cheap guns. For example Iver Johnson made bicycles until they discovered there was more money in making cheap pistols. Cool find.

Upvote 0
NHBandit said:
It's a unique brand due to the odd circular cutout on the left side for the hammer. None I've ever seen before. Find out who made them this way and you've found the manufacturer. Gun Parts Corp. & Dixie Gun Works both have huge catalogs of parts with exploded views and are great reference material for things like this. Is there the remains of a pivot pin for the barrel on the front part of the frame and if so would the barrel have tipped down or turned to the side to load it ? The rounded backplate just in front of the circular cutout for the hammer tells me this may have even been the frame to a small revolver. The problem is the lack of other parts. It seems like every machine shop or factory that had machinery that would do the job in the late 1800s & early 1900s was making cheap guns. For example Iver Johnson made bicycles until they discovered there was more money in making cheap pistols. Cool find.

I was thinking the same thing...I've been scouring Google Images and have not found one similar.

Upvote 0
Pretty sure I found it !! I love a mystery. Called a Colt open top revolver. Well hell.. Was typing this at the same time as time killer was posting but in any case I think you can safely mark this one solved. Check out this gunbroker auction link as well. Is it possible yours is chrome plated brass ? I don't see it staying in that condition for very long in the ground if it's made of steel. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=181260287

Attachments

• Colt 22 pistol.jpg
    Colt 22 pistol.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 343
Upvote 0
Cool...and it's older than I thought. I was able to trace the serial number and it comes back as an 1875 model!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back