Ancient Greek or Roman ring, need help on ID

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Garrett Infinium LS, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, this is definitely one of the best things I've ever found. It's without doubt and ancient ring. Found in an area that was giving up prevalently Greek coins. A few Roman coins and Byzantines in the area as well.

I'm just trying to figure out which period it came from. I'm leaning towards Greek but I can't find anything like it anywhere.

My best guess is that this is a lamb. Looks like a duck but has 4 legs 2 horns/ears, and a long tail.

Any help would be immensely appreciated!

photo 1 - Copy.JPG
photo 2 - Copy.JPG

Not sure how to rotate the pics.... Sorry for the orientation.

another pic..
S20171016_0006.jpg

Not gold guilding, just shine from the patina.

Upvote 0
Searched Google images & the only thing even remotely close was an Egyptian saget.

It is described at DEITIES OF EGYPT . There is also a line drawing.

The saget was a mythical creature of uncertain composition, with the front part of a lion and a hawk’s head. Its tail ended in a lotus flower. A painting of the creature was found in beni hasan, dating to the Middle Kingdom (2040-1640 B. C.E.).

Upvote 0
Searched Google images & the only thing even remotely close was an Egyptian saget.

It is described at DEITIES OF EGYPT . There is also a line drawing.

Thanks for digging! That's definitely the closest looking thing I've seen. I highly doubt the ring is Egyptian but I'll keep digging on this to see if maybe the Greeks or Romans adopted the creature.

Upvote 0
I would guess Roman Legionary - perhaps a lion?

But, I'm an American, so what could I possibly know about something that old...

Maybe one of the Brits will chime in soon.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back