diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to ID the coin in this ring. Figure it must be something worthy to set it in an 18k ring, maybe not though. Maybe sentimental or something. The reverse details are unrecognizable. Coin is 15mm in diameter. Looks like a sheaves of wheat maybe. Or a single sheaf in between a plow? Hard to tell, pretty worn.

DSC05753 (707x654).jpg

Somehow, it doesn't quite seem like the same design. If it is, then the OP pic is upside down, as near as I can see. ...Then again, it's almost time for me to get new eyeglasses. :laughing7:

Upvote 0
How'd you figure this one out? I first looked at widow mite's before any reply and said no it ain't that, but with all the ancient copper coins that came up I said the heck with this after looking at so many. I did focus my attention on that cross looking image in the center and scanned through all the pictures, but nothing was remotely close to what you have. Is this one of your finds at a yard sale ?

Upvote 0
How'd you figure this one out? I first looked at widow mite's before any reply and said no it ain't that, but with all the ancient copper coins that came up I said the heck with this after looking at so many. I did focus my attention on that cross looking image in the center and scanned through all the pictures, but nothing was remotely close to what you have. Is this one of your finds at a yard sale ?
Widow's Mite led me to the word Lepton. I googled (images) Lepton coin and came up with an image of the coin. Yes this was a yard sale find. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garage-sale-finds/505782-finally-found-some-gold-today.html

Upvote 0
How'd you run across this ring?? If bought, may I ask what you paid? ....Dang, that's one VERY old coin!!

Upvote 0
How'd you run across this ring?? If bought, may I ask what you paid? ....Dang, that's one VERY old coin!!
Yard sale, got lucky. I paid $300 for 3 rings. $150 for this one and $75 each for the other two at this particular sale. He said he priced the 18k at 14k melt price and the 14k at 10k melt price. Worked for me!

Upvote 0
...Don't suppose a "bought find" qualifies for Banner, does it??

Never knew ANY coins were made that long ago. Thought all they did was trade chickens and salt. :laughing9:

Upvote 0
But still, $150 for a coin THAT old? That HAS to be a great deal. Right?? What would the coin sell for without being a part of anything else? ...How rare are they??

EDIT: Never mind - just clicked on the link. Sure seems they'd be worth more than that!

Upvote 0
...Don't suppose a "bought find" qualifies for Banner, does it??

Never knew ANY coins were made that long ago. Thought all they did was trade chickens and salt. :laughing9:
It's kind of like the difference between buying a big fish at a market vs catching a big fish in a lake. Banners are reserved for the lost and found treasures. Others have wondered why flea market, yard sale and thrift stores finds don't rate for banners, as some believe they should. Personally I don't think purchased finds should qualify for banners. Nice purchase Diggs:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back