Anchor button

tomsneck

Feb 15, 2007
marthas vineyard
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt
Found this little gem tonight along w a half cent. Any ideas about the date and service?
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482202195.768596.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482202330.112037.jpg

Please post a picture of the back and tell us if there are any markings. Also, is it a 1 or 2 piece button?

Upvote 0
Looks like ya got a good'un there.
I think it may predate your hc by a few decades.
Haven't looked in the books yet, the cable and large anchor shackle look similar to Brit Navy Officers issue

Upvote 0
Now that is cool and nothing I have seen before. Not much doubt it is early.

Upvote 0
metal_detector.gif
Interesting button. I search a bunch and couldn't find one button with the chain coming out of the shank loop in that configuration...

Upvote 0
Now that is cool and nothing I have seen before. Not much doubt it is early.

I agree, looks late 18th C, but not a match to any I have found or seen...interesting...

Upvote 0
Great find!
HH
dts

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
like its a merchant seaman sailor coat button ....military naval buttons tended to have eagles on them

Upvote 0
You might try contacting Don Troiani but you will need to provide better pictures. Take them in natural daylight but not direct sunlight. And you might also try the Colchester site as your button is similar to some British ones.
Don Troiani | Commissions & Available Artwork

Navy buttons

Let us know how you get on with Don, but I wouldn't hold out much hope for Colchester.

Your best contacting Steve via his website address (He has some good British Navy contacts);
http://asahelena.wixsite.com/militarybuttons

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back