anbody know what this threaded brass piece was used for?

Comanche Todd

Jan 24, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IM003672.JPG
    IM003672.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 349
Threads are not standard threads.Threads appear to be for a metal machine application where precise measurement is required.Possibly a valve stem.?????

Upvote 0
i've seen those kinds of threads of really old (victorian era) machines. maybe your peice is from that era? the little nipple on the end is also kind of indicative of the way they would decorate machine parts back then.

Upvote 0
kind of looks like the remains of a clamp, the ball end would fit into a small plate, the (eye) end would be where you inserted a wooden dowel to turn it in cramped spaces

Upvote 0
The thread is an acme thread. It is meant for high torque where something heavy needs to be moved (adjusted) in small increments. The ball on the end looks to have, at one time, held a foot; as on a c-clamp. Still, I don't have a clue as to what it was used for.

Bluezman

P.S.
sniffer said:
kind of looks like the remains of a clamp, the ball end would fit into a small plate, the (eye) end would be where you inserted a wooden dowel to turn it in cramped spaces
Yup!

Upvote 0
Well done guys.

I have some of the older clamps that used a dowel or screwdriver to turn them. there is a seat that fits over the ball end of the bolt.

A lot of modern bar clamps use the same set up.

OD

Upvote 0
Bluezman said:
The thread is an acme thread. It is meant for high torque where something heavy needs to be moved (adjusted) in small increments. The ball on the end looks to have, at one time, held a foot; as on a c-clamp. Still, I don't have a clue as to what it was used for.

Bluezman

P.S.
sniffer said:
Yup!
I agree its an acme thread. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acme_thread_form
Acme_thread.jpgI have this type of thread on a some pullers. I also agree this could be part of a clamp such as the type to tighten an outboard motor to the transom. :-\

Upvote 0
Here is the screw assby on a small bar clamp.
As you can see there is a ball at the end of the screw that holds the foot.

Attachments

• Small_bar_clamp 01.jpg
    Small_bar_clamp 01.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 225
Upvote 0
I think maybe it was for clamping an old outboard boat motor? that explains why it's brass, and they could lock the clamps since it has the hole on the end to prevent theft of the motor?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back