Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• DSC01841.JPG
    DSC01841.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,099
Upvote 0
You got most of it. :icon_thumright:

A metal disc that was most likely shot mid air during a shooting exhibition such as the ones that Annie Oakley did.

I'm guessing the center said UMC, for Union Metallic Cartridge. Does the other side have text also?

Super Find!
it could be quite valuable, I'd post it in whatsit & see what members have to say, it's definitely got a good story behind it, especially if it can be linked to a specific shooter, like maybe UMC sponsored Annie Oakley or something :thumbsup:

Oops, forgot above. I'd figure it is from around 1900 +/- a decade. I know I've seen that same type of disc before, I just can't remember........yet. :D

There were a few shooters in that era that did exhibition shooting like Annie Oakley, I reference her as most folks have an idea as to what she did. Most of her discs had her name on them, though I'm not sure if her earlier ones, before she was so widely known, had her name. :icon_scratch:

From the appearance I'd doubt it was shot in mid air.

By the fact that the "coin" isn't bent or "cupped" it had to have been sitting against a backstop when it was shot.

Take a look at this youtube clip to see what I mean...

Semper Fi

dave5339 said:
From the appearance I'd doubt it was shot in mid air.

By the fact that the "coin" isn't bent or "cupped" it had to have been sitting against a backstop when it was shot.

Take a look at this youtube clip to see what I mean... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ_fPY7axmU

Semper Fi

I thought it looked cupped. I outlined that area.

Attachments

• shot disc cup.JPG
    shot disc cup.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 598
The odds of it being hit in mid-air are slim to none.

But who cares! It's still as good a find as a walking liberty half!

~Sim

I think they used FMJ's in those events. My hunting buddy found one in an old park. Different maker.
Newt
Newt

That has got to be one of my all time favorites! That is a cool find. My father used to shoot coins growing up. I have some large cents they shot as kids.

Brian

Sim_Player said:

~Sim

No...just slim. Here's a shot large cent I found a few years ago...

Attachments

• shot coin 002.jpg
    shot coin 002.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 498
  • shot coin 004.jpg
    shot coin 004.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 488
Sim_Player said:

~Sim

Dude, back then there were many people on the circuit that could shoot and hit mid air coins for hours, without missing even one.

Terrydoo, Man if only these things could talk. Just like old coins. The stories they could tell and the hands they've been through. That's part of what makes this an awesome hobby. Wondering who lost them how long they've been in the ground waiting for you to dig them up. Love it.

Very cool find either way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back