Always check the back

cavtrooper

Apr 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
As many of you probably do, I often check the front of flat buttons, see they are blank, and stash them away for later. A couple of weeks ago, I had a killer day at an early home site finding a large cent, Bust 1/2 dime and flying eagle cent as well as many flat buttons. With the lockdown, I took some time the other day and started cleaning them up and found one with some gold wash on back and more words than most. The word across the top was "Jackson" across the bottom "Victory" and around the center was American Standard. Thinking Jackson was the manufacturer, I looked it up on the internet and found it wasn't the maker but was an Andrew Jackson Presidential Victory Button that is considered rare. Go figure, I was happy with the coins only to find a nondescript button rarer than anything else I found that day. Again, always check the back. The picture on the left is my button, on the right is a non-dug example.

Attachments

• My Button.JPG
    My Button.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Non-dug Example.JPG
    Non-dug Example.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 39
Sweet find. Most folks like finding coins over buttons but to me, they are just as desirable.

Great historical button, congrats. Over the years, I've become quite fond of finding relics. That wasn't always the case, however, as coin shooting was my first goal. Now I view relics as being a more "personal" find, and I better connect a relic to the person who lost it. Thanks to the education and guidance found on this forum, I'm learning to identify mysterious pieces and connect them to a period in our history. What a great hobby!

Good point I dont know how many finds Ive tossed in a box then later realize what I had.

Relics are neat but always a question as to exact age. Coins, on the other hand, are all dated which puts them in an exact time frame. Alas, I can't find any coins so I'll take my relics! Gary

Nice button find. I always check my finds for lettering, or dates, until I'm satisfied that I can either identify it, or I can't.

Awesome relic recovery! :occasion14:

I wonder why the wording would be on the back of the button, where it isn’t visible?

Nice piece of history saved congrat.s

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back