Aluminum Thingy

EdistoDigger

Feb 23, 2009
Aluminum Car Repair Tool ?

This was found while cleaning up a garage and no one knows what it is so I thought I would give it a shot here. Its made of cast aluminun and is light for its size. The number cast on it is C-3133 and its made by Miller MFG in Detroit. Any thoughts ? Thanks in advance for looking :dontknow:

Attachments

• cliCN1LRXSjEfMH9rIRrdYvFqW7ydqjCZC2RAtSLULhmJtEI-GwlPFD0WRZ8XZ8inQ=s400.jpeg
    cliCN1LRXSjEfMH9rIRrdYvFqW7ydqjCZC2RAtSLULhmJtEI-GwlPFD0WRZ8XZ8inQ=s400.jpeg
    30.6 KB · Views: 110
  • GRgJageTZS_rg0U33ersTMr_BRMT5DertHJ-F8v5lATAfoqpeFIDAHD6jBDn7SIWPg=s400.jpeg
    GRgJageTZS_rg0U33ersTMr_BRMT5DertHJ-F8v5lATAfoqpeFIDAHD6jBDn7SIWPg=s400.jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 98
  • i5LXm6YxlV0CTHx07zGnoBDZ-Byjg_z_FbBHVZC4x_MId0w2qmUs7xNttxMdygDlLA=s400.jpeg
    i5LXm6YxlV0CTHx07zGnoBDZ-Byjg_z_FbBHVZC4x_MId0w2qmUs7xNttxMdygDlLA=s400.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 134
  • OU3W1ltoegbw-GATvxKl1SKSnWMv53Qb7-FnmLrMIj5Qx1iCsdNg7-0y64Cl1oIRvA=s400.jpeg
    OU3W1ltoegbw-GATvxKl1SKSnWMv53Qb7-FnmLrMIj5Qx1iCsdNg7-0y64Cl1oIRvA=s400.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Pf74KZ9TGswHaACpKCesJ0fMkGRQ0UJLoyswzQ1SxcdEbj9OUQ-VRpZHDODOJ-yxWA=s400.jpeg
    Pf74KZ9TGswHaACpKCesJ0fMkGRQ0UJLoyswzQ1SxcdEbj9OUQ-VRpZHDODOJ-yxWA=s400.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
You got to put the pic thingy in there, so we can see it. :laughing7:

Thank goodness for the edit button, huh? :laughing7:

Upvote 0
How about an old arm puller or some type of automotive tool.
:)Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks like an old Chrysler special service tool. I'll look to see if I still have my old master lists.

Blacksheep is right on. Miller Mfg made specialty automotive tools in the early 20th C. I don't know what yours is but it looks like some sort of alignment device to me.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Agreed, as the number looks like one of their numbers too (C-xxxx). I think the current ones are up in the 9000's range.

Upvote 0
My master list (compiled by me starting in the late 80's because the dealer I worked at absorbed several area dealerships with no rhyme/reason to the tool room) is no longer available, probably sold it along with the couple hundred sst's I got when cleaning out, outdated tools. Guessing by its size, it may have been something as simple as a tranny tailshaft holding tool (so it wouldn't roll around on the work bench) or some type of jig used along with other tools. It is not a tool that would have been used with a press since aluminum would snap right off, I did ask a couple old timers and they don't recall using it either (it's not uncommon that those special tools simply collect dust because Techs found an easier way to fix something without the need for any giving special tool).

Going to venture a guess that its late 50' or 60's since I do not recall seeing this tool in all the years (20+) I worked at Chrysler/Jeep dealership. I'll keep digging, might find its purpose yet.

Upvote 0
Just looking at it, it kinda reminds me of track guides(that may not even be the right word). Think about the guides along the car wash tire guides, or when you get an oil change, the tracks you drive on. I also thought, possibly a track guide from an auto delivery carrier(semi). It has the play or adjustability factor?

Did I ever say, "I'm terrible at guessing games"!? LOL!
Best I could hope, would be to spark the correct answer, in someone else's head. LOL! :dontknow: :laughing7:

Upvote 0
I wonder if it could be a shoe that attaches to a smoothing plane or jack plane of some sort.

Upvote 0
Thanks to all that looked and made suggestions but I'm still as curious as ever.:dontknow::dontknow: Anyone else want to take a jab at it ? :icon_scratch:

Thanks for looking,

EdistoDigger

Upvote 0
ok..is there a patent number on the piece?

my first job back in 1967 was working for a Chrysler dealership...don't remember seeing one of these...and my job gopher and cleaning tools....
I just did 47 pages of millers tools pages...whew...nothing like it.

not a welding clamp...yes...went to miller welding also...
wow...a tool I have no clue on...I am impressed...wonder if it is a specialty tool for aircraft?

Miller Special Tools

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back