All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• P1020419.JPG
    P1020419.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 150
  • P1020416.JPG
    P1020416.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 147
It would be best described as a medal/medallion & by the British Crown (used by Canada as well, which is written on her sash) & coat of arms, its circa WWI, so could be a commemorative 'Victory Medal'. These cheap metal items were mass produced for various events, I can't be sure without lots of research which event its commemorating. But you get the idea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
PS. Its a British Coat of Arms on the left, anyone know the right one? (might be a clue of a union?)

Plus whats the one under the Crown?

Upvote 0
and on the back-- is that a buffalo ??

Upvote 0
In which case it most commemorate the WWI Manitoba regiment??

Upvote 0
The only reason I suggested it could be a coin is because David Dingwall was President and Chief Executive Officer of the Royal Canadian Mint. I figured it was made to commemorate something but didn't know what? Usually when mass produced its easy to find several other examples but I have found none. Thanks for the info. HH coop
It would be best described as a medal/medallion & by the British Crown (used by Canada as well, which is written on her sash) & coat of arms, its circa WWI, so could be a commemorative 'Victory Medal'. These cheap metal items were mass produced for various events, I can't be sure without lots of research which event its commemorating. But you get the idea.

Upvote 0
The only reason I suggested it could be a coin is because David Dingwall was President and Chief Executive Officer of the Royal Canadian Mint. I figured it was made to commemorate something but didn't know what? Usually when mass produced its easy to find several other examples but I have found none. Thanks for the info. HH coop

Thats not true, I could give you a list as long as your arm on these type of medals & you will find only half of them on the net. Its the rare and valuable ones which are easier to find. That being said, I'm sure with some work & knowing which keywords to use will get some results.

Upvote 0
I still have not found anything similar to this piece. But I CAN tell you it is not a coin and it was made prior to 1935 by Donald Ross Dingwell or his son Donald Waverly Dingwell. They were Manitoba jewelers and metal strikers.

I can't figure out what ot call the "standing lady with the Canada sash" to narrow down the internet hits. To me she is the bond between the British and the Canadian coats of arms - but what wopuld you call her?

My gut tells me this is a generic, "out of the catalog" medal used for school awards or some local society. That's why it doesn't have any words on it - put a colorful ribbon on it and call it what you want...

As always, that's just my opinion.

The Manitoba Historical Society might be interested in it. The Dingwall Building, built by D. R. Dingwall in the 1880's, still stands in Winnipeg.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
I still have not found anything similar to this piece. But I CAN tell you it is not a coin and it was made prior to 1935 by Donald Ross Dingwell or his son Donald Waverly Dingwell. They were Manitoba jewelers and metal strikers.

I can't figure out what ot call the "standing lady with the Canada sash" to narrow down the internet hits. To me she is the bond between the British and the Canadian coats of arms - but what wopuld you call her?

My gut tells me this is a generic, "out of the catalog" medal used for school awards or some local society. That's why it doesn't have any words on it - put a colorful ribbon on it and call it what you want...

As always, that's just my opinion.

The Manitoba Historical Society might be interested in it. The Dingwall Building, built by D. R. Dingwall in the 1880's, still stands in Winnipeg.

DCMatt

I thought she may represent Victory, hence my first guess.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back