Aluminum bands with letters and numbers, possibly bird bands?

TheHappyCanadian

Sep 14, 2014
Vancouver
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Garrett AT Pro
Deteknix Xpointer
ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found a pair of these in a field behind our house. I tried looking online for "BCL" but to no avail.

one says "BCL 231-681"
other says "BCL 231-768"

014.jpg015.jpg

Some big birds!! I was able to identify the one I found, it was quite a bit smaller though. Good luck. It was a hawk that was tagged in Canada and I found in central Ohio. Keep Swinging!!

Upvote 0
wild turkey bands ?

Upvote 0
According to this site a bird band beginning with 3 letters usually means a quarantine band. The first letter meaning the state it's from. Not sure if Canada is different but since you live in Vancouver and your band starts with BC....... well just maybe that's what it is. Here's the link to the site: Bird Legbands Leg banding and Bird Identification

Upvote 0
According to this site a bird band beginning with 3 letters usually means a quarantine band. The first letter meaning the state it's from. Not sure if Canada is different but since you live in Vancouver and your band starts with BC....... well just maybe that's what it is. Here's the link to the site: Bird Legbands Leg banding and Bird Identification

thanks, after a bit of poking around I searched for poultry leg bands and found a manufacturer who makes the same type of bands: Hasco Tag Company - Home of the #1 Selling Metal Ear Tag in America!

style 305 with the lap seal

still curious what the numbers are all about though

Upvote 0
Could "BCL" stand for "??? Conservation ???"

aj

Upvote 0
thP35SV19J.jpg
I wish I had a better answer but I don't think its a bird band.
Organizations that band birds put more information on them so the information can be returned and added to their studies. Plus they are thicker so they won't cut the bird.
They do look familiar, I just can't place them.
I'm guessing these are used to identify a product. Perhaps BCL stands for British Columbia Lumber?
Was something nearby that was constructed? A fence maybe?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back