Altered 1853 seated half dime - for jewelry???

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone! My father recently gave me some of the old coins he has accumualted over the years, some Merc, Buffalos, wheaties, IHs, etc. One was an 1853 seated half-dime that I think was altered for a jewelry piece. The half-dime is about half the normal thickness, and the entire reverse is gone, replaced with a decorative harp design. I have tried to research this piece, to no avail. There is no jewelers mark on the back, but the engraving work is very ornate and nicely done. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? I know the pics are a bit blurry, I'll try to get better ones soon. Any feedback on this piece would be appreciated. I'm going to post this under ID FINDS too, hope Jeff doesn't mind! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 1853-1.JPG
    1853-1.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 221
  • 1853-2.JPG
    1853-2.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 229
That's a Love Token.

There were alot of these Made out of Seated Dimes,

yet not alot are Found.

Congrats
Jeff

Thanks Jeff - You and Lonewolf both agreed as to what it is, so I guess that's that! Thanks again, I appreciate it!!

Yep, a Love Token, I had a book full of them at one time. Was buying them at about 3.15 years ago. Sold all but one or two. The nickels and dollar tokens are the most rare. They used gold dollars for them too, but the nickels and dollars are hard to find. You can find them made into necklaces with many on it. Most had initials on them for whoever they were given to. Those carousels in the old parks were a good place to find old coins. The tokens would be ground off (the reverse usually) and ornate decorations sometimes carved on them with the place for initials left blank so it could be quickly added in the park...

WOW!!!
That is too cool... I found one a while back, but it's nowhere's near in as good of shape as yours, WTG!!!
They even soldered something over the date on mine, but I think it's an 1853 because it has the arrows and you can just bairly see a 3 at the end of the date...
Here's a link to the one I found: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,11679.0.html
Good luck & Happy hunting~

Leon, I checked eBay for these, and founds lots of them that were made out of dimes and quarters, but very few on half dimes. It;s pretty cool knowing we've found unique, one of a kind items, huh? Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back